So this is what they mean by "non-sinusoidal waveform".

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
We bought an inverter to power some toys at camp, and when we opened the box, the directions warned about some applications not liking the inverter. Naturally I had to put a scope on it for a look see. EEwwwww. :eek: Now I guess I'll have to take a look at the generators...:rolleyes:

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It costs more to generate a power sinewave efficiently so most inexpensive inverters use a switched step type of drive with no output filter. In your inverter it's a three step design, stopping at 0V between the plus and minus excursions. More expensive inverters use more steps and/or output filtering to more closely approximate a sinewave.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Believe it or not that wave puts most of it's energy out at the fundamental line frequency.

I've heard several anecdotal stories of devices such as microwave ovens failing almost immediately after being given such power.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I'm thinking my flourescent lights didn't like the taste either.:( I'm going to research the generators outputs as some of the loads could possibly be shaded pole, like my pellet stove motors. :eek: Probably not as bad as the inverter, but worth a look.

anotheruser1

Joined Dec 6, 2011
A question to fit this thread.. Are the inverters in an uninterruptable power supply ( say an APC 750) a true or modified sine wave? They look 100 times more advanced just by looking at one.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's called a "modified sine wave" inverter. Almost all economy inverters make this wave. They are good for lights and other resistive loads, but not for much of anything else. My inverter fails to operate my little compressor, but does work well when I connect a fan. Go figure.