So I'm new to the game.

dratane

Joined Sep 15, 2011
I mean new. Like when I look at a mother board, I'm pretty sure electricity is going to jump out and tell me to go do something else before it shocks me.

But I have a new hobby and I really want to persue it: Chickens. Yep. I want to incubate me some chicken eggs. To do that I have the basic set up. But let me fill you in on this little secret 'I'm lazier than a cat', and I don't want to turn the eggs by hand.

So how do I set it up so that I can use this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-Micro-Mi...081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6a4f4cd9

To do the heavy work for me? I'd also like to wire in: a simple computer fan, a heat lamp, and an shut off thermometer to regulate the heat of the light without turning off the thermometer itself or the fan/turning motor.

So pretty much what I'm saying is, do you want my address so you can come over and do it for me?!

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
The electronic setup you want to make is easy and we can help you but here is the main thing.Many guys want to do this but they dont know one thing i.e.. the eggs avaliable form market are not fertile and cannot be hatched.You need fertile eggs which are obtained mainly from poultry farms.Did you knew this ?

On your motor figure out what each of the wires connect to. Two of them will be for power. A positive and a ground. You need to hook that up to a 5 volt battery. You need to find something you can hook to the end of your motor that will hold the egg or whatever. Wiring in all that stuff shouldn't be too bad. You just wire it up to your 5 volt battery.

dratane

Joined Sep 15, 2011
.. the eggs avaliable form market are not fertile and cannot be hatched.You need fertile eggs which are obtained mainly from poultry farms.Did you knew this ?

Yes I did knew that, I'm not concerned with the chicken aspect of this project on this forum but with the electrical and program side. Just assume I am a chicken god and I know all about poultry except anything to do with computers (thats just how us gods ya'know) so I've come to you computer gods. (que holy music)

Anyway, I have an old computer motherboard. Is that something that I can use or will I need to go purchase something else? I'm starting on (computer) square one. I've got the chicken side figured out. To get an idea of what I'm wanting I'm going to post the video of what I'd like to build with this motor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHKWxI67TFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxT4rutgvE

I can't find a telescope motor and I'd rather do it my own way. Also take into consideration that the inside of this incubator will fluxuate between 30%-70% humidity. If the computer components cannont take that much water, I can certainly mount the motherboard on the outside. Just to make this even more complicated I'd like to keep all expenses below 30.00. So AYUDAME!

dratane

Joined Sep 15, 2011
On your motor figure out what each of the wires connect to. Two of them will be for power. A positive and a ground. You need to hook that up to a 5 volt battery. You need to find something you can hook to the end of your motor that will hold the egg or whatever. Wiring in all that stuff shouldn't be too bad. You just wire it up to your 5 volt battery.
Would it be a good idea to use a 5v battery? I can purchase a 12v motor (link below) to attatch to an old phone charger. Which is what I expected to do with the 12v computer fan until I decided to go with the computer motor as well. I was under the impression that it would be a better idea to attatche the incubator to a constant power supply so maintaining a battery life wouldnt be one of my issues. What do you think?

Another motor option:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-FC-...374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0609886

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
No for this you don't need a whole computer to do the job,and if you are asking about anything you can use from your motherboard than its diffucalt to say with out having any details of your motherboard.Any anyway I wouldnt use any parts of a old mother board as it would make the system more complex.Rather I would built the whole system using microcontroller,but I think you dont know about it much??? so do it in a bit old way using timers and digital circuits.

crobertsbmw said:
No it will not work that way....

@dratane
First you should select the motor a simple DC motor having enough torque to rotate the load will good ,but the link of ebay on your first post (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-Micro-Min...item3a6a4f4cd9) shows a stepper motor and which need special circuit to operate you can't just plug it with 5V.Stepper motors need special sequence of digital pulse to operate.

First find a sutiable motor you could use then we will think how its going to be operate,remember to built any kind of circuit we need details of components like in this case we need the details for your motor.

Good Luck

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here is the datasheet for the 1st motor that you are considering:
http://www.motionsolutions.us/motors/Stepper_Motors/Geared_Steppers/24_28_30BYJ.pdf
It's interesting, because the motor you're considering has a pink wire instead of a grey wire. But, the rest should apply.
So, orange is phase A, yellow is B, blue is C, pink is D, and red is the common supply you'd connect to +5v.

There are 5.625 degrees per step, and a 1:64 reduction.
So, 64 steps per revolution, and since there is a 1:64 reduction, 2048 steps per 1/2 revolution and 4096 steps per complete revolution. Not sure how you're planning on doing the movement of the tray; it could be as simple as a crank with a pin riding in a slot.

Basically, you'd need a 1-hour timer that would at expiration, enable a circuit that would cause the motor to step 2048 times slowly; then at the completion of the stepping, set the timer to run for another hour.

dratane

Joined Sep 15, 2011
Thank you for the responses!

I only considered the step motor because of the size and price it seemed like it might be slower. Not realizing what it actually does or needs to work. I'm just gonna cut that guy out of the picture. The second motor seems reasonably priced. The only other one I am considering is: This one but then again it is small and might not be able to move what I need it to as well as the battery issue. I want something reliable.

So I think I've picked my motor, it doesnt need that much torque because I doubt I'm going to do more than 12 eggs at a time. About 500grams to be moved back and forth about once every 2 hours. I am on my way to the store to pick everything up, after that I'll need some wiring help. So what do you think?

Pretty much the jist of it

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Perhaps you could just put a row of nests on a slow conveyor belt, one egg in each nest, and move the row of nests under a pen that holds one chicken. Every time she got knocked off the nest, she would get in the next nest and turn the egg.

Please forgive me if you don't get my sense of humor. I'm so old I don't know why you took the eggs away from the chickens in order to not turn them yourself. This is all Rube Goldberg to me ;)

Why don't you just build a big box, throw a rooster with some hens inside and let them do their stuff. And, does sidenafil citrate work on non flight birds? if it does then feed that to rooster regularly.

jokes apart here's my design, pick up an old broken semi automatic washing machine. We'll only be using the washer tub. First put few dozen eggs on the rotor and work up the control circuit/timer circuit so that the speed is highly reduced and tub turns on once every two hours for few turns. Now cover the tub's top, put a 100 watt bulb inside and hookup a temperature measuring circuit to control circuit.

That's the best incubator, will incubate as many eggs as you want.