So I Want To Be A Commercial Electrician ...

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Hello everyone, I just recently moved back to Scottsdale, AZ. (I know I kinda move around a bit) And I was considering the field of electrician. Here is my field of view of it.

Pros:
  • I would be actually problem solving things I love in fast paste or slow environments.
  • I wouldn't be handling the general public.
  • I would be traveling a lot.
  • I would be working in a field that is in high demand and can be used in most places that work with electronics. (HVAC, Security Companies, Backup Generating Co., Solar)

Cons:
  • I'm not a fan of heights more then 3+ levels. (Guesting if I was to hookup a HVAC)
  • Bit afraid of working with 24v+.
  • A fatel mistake can make me loose my job or a life. (Kinda why I want to get hands on training)

So what would any of you recommend of me doing first? I want to go to a tech school to get the proper hands on training, but I can't seem to find one that offers this training. Of course I'm guesting I should start building a respectable toolbox with 4 multimeters. Also past experiences are welcomed, so I get a better idea what I'm in for.

Thanks, Andrew.

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
In my area, most jobs for electricians are union jobs. Check with your local electrician's union and see if they have an apprentice program and find out what it takes to qualify.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Doing a quick search, it seems that AZ does not have a state licensing for journeyman / apprentice electricians, just contractors. It looks like there is only some local licensing of electricians other than contractors. You will probably have to go through some sort of apprenticeship and possibly some schooling to qualify for a license test. I would recommend finding some local contractor that is hiring for apprentices and apply there to get started.

Some contractors may even pay, or help pay, for your trade school. They will most likely know where you can go to get your education. There may be an Associated Builders and Contractors school near you, or a community college.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a bunch of tools just yet. The contractor that hires you may have a small list of tools that they would like you to have. As an apprentice you are not going to be doing a lot of technical stuff for most of the first year anyway. My first few weeks was spent digging trenches and doing the basic grunt work.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
As the steel mill was about to close a whole lotta guys bragged about being a USW journeyman electrician. When it closed, most had a real hard time moving over to a different industry.

Practice climbing over 3ft. As an apprentice, you'll be relamping the highest light for starters. Most outfits won't hire guys that limit themselves to 3ft.

24v is everywhere but so is 110, 220, and 440. Once again, if you say you're a 24v electrician you will severely limit your opportunities.

Spell check is handy.