So I got a new job

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hey everyone!

So, as the title suggests, I was offered a new job this afternoon. As much as I enjoyed working at the university and helping students, the pay was horrible and it wasn't paying the bills. So I told myself that as soon as this school year ended, I'd get a new one. As many of you know, I've been searching for a new job for some time (started long before the school year ended last month). It took a while, but I finally got everything in order and applied for a job as a software developer for a company based in Ohio. There was a branch just across the river from where I lived, so I figured it would be more cost-effective to live at home and commute to work than to rent an apartment in Boston. So I packed up my things and moved back to Vermont, where I'm currently living.

A couple weeks ago I got an email from the company I applied to, saying they'd like to schedule a phone interview. A couple days later I had the phone interview, and was eventually called back, saying they wanted me to come into the office for an in-person interview. I went to the interview about a week ago, and just got a call today saying they're offering me the job :D

I will be working as a Java programmer as part of a team, working together on certain projects, and presenting the final products to a variety of companies.

It is a short-term job, but should give me some time to find a more long-term one. It will also be an interesting experience for me, considering I've never used Java before this. My employers did know that but decided I was a quick enough learner to be able to pick it up easily. I've had experience with C and some C++, so the jump was not too difficult. I started some tutorials a little over a week ago and already have a firm grasp on it.

I guess there wasn't really a point to this post. Just wanted to let you guys know :D

Wish me luck!

Regards,
Matt

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Congrats, now let me assert some unsolicited advice, inspired by my latest employment woes...

Don't sell yourself short. If they make you an offer and it's for less than you know you're worth, make a counteroffer - can't hurt anything. And don't take whatever they offer you, just because it's "temporary."

My last employer was a "temporary" job. I only took it because I was desperate. I was used to working offshore and making a lot of money, and this shop job only paid a little over half my previous salary. I just took what they offered me, no counter offer. Then I found that I liked the job; The benefits were excellent and it was good for the family and I actually enjoyed the work, and the people, and the freedom - it was just a whole lot more rewarding than I thought it would be, and made up for the difference in pay. I ended up working there for 3 years until my latest escapade where I quit and went to school and started my business. Now that I've had my fill of self employment, I'm going back to work there, but I encountering a barrier in negotiating a higher salary. I'm requesting about 15% more than I was making before, but they're telling me that they can't give me more than 3-5% (the amount of merit increase I would have received for being employed there continuously) more than I was making before, per their policy. That's to keep people from quitting and coming back as a stunt for the sole purpose of getting an increase in their salary. My boss said that he agree's that I'm worth more than what they're offering me, but his hands are tied. He says I was worth more than I signed on for, when I signed on (too bad I wasn't aware of that) but since I did sign on the line back then, I set into stone a path that must be followed as long as I hold that position in the company.

So in retrospect I would have negotiated a higher salary back then, despite planning to work there only until I could find something better, and I encourage you to do the same.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Congrats, now let me assert some unsolicited advice, inspired by my latest employment woes...

Don't sell yourself short. If they make you an offer and it's for less than you know you're worth, make a counteroffer - can't hurt anything. And don't take whatever they offer you, just because it's "temporary."

My last employer was a "temporary" job. I only took it because I was desperate. I was used to working offshore and making a lot of money, and this shop job only paid a little over half my previous salary. I just took what they offered me, no counter offer. Then I found that I liked the job; The benefits were excellent and it was good for the family and I actually enjoyed the work, and the people, and the freedom - it was just a whole lot more rewarding than I thought it would be, and made up for the difference in pay. I ended up working there for 3 years until my latest escapade where I quit and went to school and started my business. Now that I've had my fill of self employment, I'm going back to work there, but I encountering a barrier in negotiating a higher salary. I'm requesting about 15% more than I was making before, but they're telling me that they can't give me more than 3-5% (the amount of merit increase I would have received for being employed there continuously) more than I was making before, per their policy. That's to keep people from quitting and coming back as a stunt for the sole purpose of getting an increase in their salary. My boss said that he agree's that I'm worth more than what they're offering me, but his hands are tied. He says I was worth more than I signed on for, when I signed on (too bad I wasn't aware of that) but since I did sign on the line back then, I set into stone a path that must be followed as long as I hold that position in the company.

So in retrospect I would have negotiated a higher salary back then, despite planning to work there only until I could find something better, and I encourage you to do the same.
Thanks very much strantor, that's some great advice.

I'm will be paid more than half-again (almost twice) what I've been getting paid at the university position, so I am fairly pleased at this point. However, I know for a fact that I won't want to do programming for the rest of my life. I would really like to focus on hardware, preferably work as a design engineer. That's where my passion lies, even though I do very much enjoy programming. This job is temporary, just to help get my foot in the door of more professional work, rather than the various odd-jobs I've had over the years. I've decided it's high time I start a career. I wish I'd started a long time ago.

Anyway, I digress. Your advice is great, and I will definitely keep it in mind. We'll see how this job goes, and I'll figure it out from there :)

Thanks again to everyone for their support and encouragement! I'll keep you posted on how it's going :)

Best wishes,
Matt

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I won't want to do programming for the rest of my life. I would really like to focus on hardware, preferably work as a design engineer. That's where my passion lies, even though I do very much enjoy programming.
This world is getting to the point that a person that only does hardware is like a one legged man. Take good advantage of the programming skills that are coming your way. I dare to say you won't design any hardware that doesn't need software.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
This world is getting to the point that a person that only does hardware is like a one legged man. Take good advantage of the programming skills that are coming your way. I dare to say you won't design any hardware that doesn't need software.
I expect you're right, #12. My thoughts exactly. Most of the work I've done on hardware to this point involves software of one type or another. I've had to learn several languages, so what's one more? I really think that learning a variety of programming languages really helps you become a better well-rounded person in today's technological world.

Matt