So I did the most N3wb thing today after successfully repairing a vizio 50" Plasma.....

R3ctify

Joined Nov 19, 2016
4 days in - founmd some Vregulators faulting - replaced em', Set display came on - I was stoked... So I re attach (aluminum) back panel and footstool (70 or so screws :( ) set her upright and fire her up to notice a small vertical line on the far right during blue screen search for signal. Me in so much joy, decides, "Hey I can probably adjust that out!" and grabs a phillips to adjust a trimmer pot on the pwr board THROUGH THE ALUMINUM CASING HOLES.... Dumbest move ever in my old age, even a green horn knows what come next. 170V gap through my metal screwdriver to the chassis ground. POP! derp. dbl derp.

Anywase, after kicking myself in the face a million times tonight, like a gymnast, my question is, on the main board (seperate from the power board where I shorted to ground) , sensitive chips like the EEPROM and such, having a common ground, have they been subjected to damage?

I'm going to sleep tonight a lil' tipsy and PO'd at myself still for such rookie oversight and slumber, that I'd like to tell myself all the other boards sans the PWR board have been isolated from the surge for the power will trace itself in a straightline to earth ground.

Someone put me to bed with that theory as confirmed. TYIA :)

R3ctify

Joined Nov 19, 2016
and the surge of providing a nice safe ground passage to the PWR board only killed components there, as the current surged through all that couldn't tolerate it............

peace and thank you.

R3ctify

Joined Nov 19, 2016
my apoligies, i have been in failing condition and things that used to be base ground for me often slip these days.

peace

R3ctify

Joined Nov 19, 2016
and the surge of providing a nice safe ground passage to the PWR board only killed components there, as the current surged through all that couldn't tolerate it???????????????????????????? Hopefully that's the case...... anybody out there?

peace and thank you.

R3ctify

Joined Nov 19, 2016
if yer gonna adjust pots on the fly through a metal case, insulate yer screwdriver with some heatshrink or tape.....damnit.........

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What crappy vizio plasma screen model do you have that has metal potentiometers on its circuit boards that are at line voltage anywhere? o_O

Or for that matter what pots are there in a plasma screen that would have any contorl over the picture that could possibly be at line level voltages and accessible through holes in the back panel cover to begin with? o_O

Everything screen control is digital and the only potentiometer adjustments you should have are going to be for DC rail voltage trimming on a few specific circuits.