So, 60 days until Halloween. Any good project ideas to scare the kids?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I thought I would lighten the conversation on the Off-Topic area to see if anyone has a Halloween-related project (idea or finished device) they want to share that will either...
- scare the teenagers
- amuse small kids
- entertain me.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've often though of making a device with a compressed air horn, and a camera, connected to my doorbell.

When the kids rings my doorbell, and the sound goes off, a picture is taken. That would be hilarious.
I can dumb-down that idea and, since Halloween is only about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, I will just use video and I can activate the horn (or even a buzzer) by toggle switch wired inside the house. Good suggestion!

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
There are also some bigger kids, late teenagers. Sometimes they ring the doorbell and run away, so when I open the door, there's nobody there. When that happens, I'd like to have a zapper/tazer in the doorbell button, giving them a good nice ZAP when they push. I guess this is bending the rules of society a bit. :eek:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are also some bigger kids, late teenagers. Sometimes they ring the doorbell and run away, so when I open the door, there's nobody there. When that happens, I'd like to have a zapper/tazer in the doorbell button, giving them a good nice ZAP when they push. I guess this is bending the rules of society a bit. :eek:
And the forum rules... So don't tell anyone.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I live up in the boondocks where nobody ever trick-or-treats. Figure I'll just sit down Halloween evening with a good book.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Get a proximity detector, a microprocessor and a relay board. Whenever someone approaches your house, randomly flash the lights and trigger a ghoulish mp3 to play from a large speaker...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
My favorite Halloween gag is Pepper's Ghost, which can be made by projecting an image on a clear medium at a 45 degree angle. The viewer sees the image, but also sees through the clear medium at what 's behind it, so it appears the ghost is floating in air. I havn't ever set something like this up, and since I'm on the road again this year, looks like I won't thin time either.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I've often though of making a device with a compressed air horn, and a camera, connected to my doorbell.

When the kids rings my doorbell, and the sound goes off, a picture is taken. That would be hilarious.
I know its been done but I love your idea but I would suggest making a train tunnel like the cartoons and out a bright light in the middle and horn to freak them out with a quick pic would icing on the cake..

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Back in the 60s I still lived at home and was a teenager. I put a sheet over me that had some fake blood spots on it. I sat perfectly still in a lawn chair next to the front door with a bowl of candy in my lap. I made my seating position as fake/ghostly as I could to make people think I was a mannequin. I had a great time scaring the crap out of kids. Two kids said they were going to steal me until I lunged at them. It was too much fum.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Back in the 60s I still lived at home and was a teenager. I put a sheet over me that had some fake blood spots on it. I sat perfectly still in a lawn chair next to the front door with a bowl of candy in my lap. I made my seating position as fake/ghostly as I could to make people think I was a mannequin. I had a great time scaring the crap out of kids. Two kids said they were going to steal me until I lunged at them. It was too much fum.
So, what kind of circuit did you use? I assume you had one to trigger the lunge and one to sense the crap.

:);):D