Snubber or just a diode?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Hello all,

I am getting ready to start working with my new wideband transformer.
Before I do though I want to be sure I protect the drive circuit.

Info on the coil:
Primary coil L=140uH, R=400mΩ Leakage L=5uH Applied voltage=+10V

I will be pulsing the coil in a range from 1kHz to 20kHz.
Current will be max 5 amps max at 1kHz.

My question is, can I just use a HV diode across the primary coil, or do I need a RCD snubber? I need the wave on the secondary side of the coil to be as square as possible.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. I think a diode will do to protect the fet. The diode will allow current to flow in the coil after the fet is off. If you are measuring energy, you will have to account for that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So are you using the transformer in a flyback circuit to generate a high voltage on the output? If so then you don't want a diode as that will kill the voltage. Instead you could use a zener across the FET drain-source connection with a voltage rating perhaps 20% below the FET rating.

vrainom

Joined Sep 8, 2011
So it's a flyback converter, you need a snubber calculated by the frequency of operation and leakage inductance of the transformer, I guess you could try and calculate it for 10 khz and hope it does well all over the working band?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
Sorry. I tried to post more but had problems logging in.

I don't have a schematic. But it is a very simple circuit.
Just a wideband xmfr driven by a fet. It's not a flyback.

I'm trying to teach myself to design a wideband xmfr which will give me a good square wave output.

The load on the secondary side is just a resistor.

I think I need a snubber rather than a diode since the diode will direct the current back through the coil and mess up the trailing edge.

I found the following calculator online:
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Snubbers/Snubber-Design-Calculator.phtml

There seem to be a lot of posts on snubber design as well as a ton of info online. I think this site should have a sticky in snubber design. Most everything I read just leaves me confused, there should be an easier way. ..

Anyways, just want some suggestions on that online calculator. Is it any good?

Are there any other considerations I should be taking into account besides what's on that site?

Thanks for all the help.... and, Sorry for the trouble.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've used that calculator and it seemed valid for what I needed that day.

You can hand draw a schematic and scan it if you don't have MS Paint and some symbols.
I got my symbols from Bill Marsden.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A transformer will not work well with a unidirectional pulse that your MOSFET driver generates since that signal has a large DC average component which may saturate the transformer. What is the duty-cycle of you pulses?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
A transformer will not work well with a unidirectional pulse that your MOSFET driver generates since that signal has a large DC average component which may saturate the transformer. What is the duty-cycle of you pulses?
The duty cycle is 60%. The core I choose has a Bsat of 1.5T so I don't think saturation will be an issue. At least I hope not. I used an online software program to design the coil, as well as a lot of math on my own.