snowmobile EGT guage help

elboujoe

Joined May 30, 2012
HI guys i am new to the site and i don't know much about wireing. Anyways i hope someone will be able to help me out. This project i am working on is a 2002 thundercat 1000 snowmobile. The sleds electical system is a AC survice. The stator makes power threw the RPM's of the engine the survice repair manual clearly states that the stator can produce 25 to 30 AC volts at full throdle, that raw curent is put into the voltage regulator and is tunred into 13.5 ACV at 3000 RPM. After 3000 it is still 13.5 ACV. Now on my snowmachine any yellow wire is a hot wire and brown is ground. so i tapped into the wires comeing from the back of my tachometer for a power suply to power my aftermarket Exhaust gas temperature (EGT)guages i am trying to wire in.

The guages i purchesed only run on DC curent. i put in a bridge rectifier and copasitor in the line to convert the ACV to DCV. I sucessfuly got the guages to get power they run with the engine running. But the problem i am having now is last night i fired up the sled to see the EGT guages work dureing opertaion. and when i reved the engine to 3000 RMP the guages popped just shut down. Now i confirmed that the guages are not broke buy pluging them directly into a old 12volt car battery they lit right back up so i am assumeing they have a internal shut off incase of over loading voltage.

Now that i done explained the situation i would like to know if i can put a inline voltage reg after the bridege rectifier and copassitor to limit the voltage to the guages to 12v DC. If so can someone point me to the exsact product i need maybe even a ebay link or something simmilar. when the engines RPM's increase bc my engine revs out at allmost 9000 RPM or so do I have to install a small rechargeable battery that can take the suplus voltage and only dispence12VDC to the guage. If any pictures are needed i can do do so

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Got a volt meter?... Simply measure the voltage across the yellow and brown wire and see what you get.. when idle and when reving over 3k..

then you can check it after the rectifier and see what you get there.. Then we/you don't have to guess what voltages you are really working with.

and don't those things always have a 12V accessory plug somewhere.. like for glove warmers,etc...

elboujoe

Joined May 30, 2012
Yes i have a voltage meter at idle 1000RPM it runs 9 ACV at 3000 RPM it is 13.5 ACV
If you want to hold i on i can go into garage and give you the information of what its running at threw the rectifier system. And no not all Sleds have a plug in In my case my snowmobile is a batteryless system so the only DC curent is rectified threw the CDI control box to give DC voltage to the ingnition system ie. Spark plugs. This is a full on power house machine any extra options are not standard on this type of sled includeing having accesory plug ins.

elboujoe

Joined May 30, 2012
Ok i just did the test now at idle 1000 RPM it ran 11.9VDC threw the rectified system with no load on them when i reved it up to 3000 RPM it put out 16DCV with no load. Way to much for my 12V needing guages and thats why yesturday they poped so what can i do regulate it to a constant 12VDC

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ok i just did the test now at idle 1000 RPM it ran 11.9VDC threw the rectified system with no load on them when i reved it up to 3000 RPM it put out 16DCV with no load. Way to much for my 12V needing guages and thats why yesturday they poped so what can i do regulate it to a constant 12VDC
use a voltage regulator to turn your 11.9-16VDC into 11.9-12VDC.