Snowed In

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here in West Tennessee, we have about a half inch of ice on the roads which is covered with about that same amount of sleet which is covered with about two inches of snow. In the areas where no vehicles have been, the traction is pretty good. However, on the more traveled roads where vehicles have made ruts down to the ice layer, the sleet and snow has been pushed out and frozen together to make the ruts very hard to get out of.

I have driven on lots of snow and, with the exception of ice from frozen rain (black ice), these are the most wreck inducing conditions I have been on. Thank goodness that I don't live where this is a regular occurrence.

I am home to stay until I can get the doors on my 4WD truck thawed. :D

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
We dodged the bullet again today. We were told we would get about 12 inches od snow or get the snow ice mix that you got.

It was a bit bad Sunday afternoon ut only got about 3 inches. The snow stopped and they got the roads cleared. It is cold but the roads are clear.

I just can't wait for spring.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I just can't wait for spring.
I declared spring to have arrived two weeks ago. We had a week of high 50 and low 60 degree days. Even this past Friday, it was 67 and sunny. They salted the roads that day. :confused:

The temp here this morning at 6:00 am was 15.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Raining here in middle TN, Warren County. No ice to be found as it's 32 degrees. Of course, it's all subject to change :D

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
We were supposed to get 4-7", but got 2".

They say that these pileups are caused by the weather.:confused:

I say those crashes are caused by people, not weather.

Driving too fast.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Raining here in middle TN, Warren County. No ice to be found as it's 32 degrees. Of course, it's all subject to change :D
It's up to 20 here and the snow has stopped. Jack, the cat just went out for the third time this morning; he'll be meowing at the door in 10 minutes.

ETA: I was wrong; it was three minutes, and I managed to fall down the steps letting him in. No major damage, but I'll be sore tomorrow.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I spent 6 glorious days in Tucson. 70 degrees and sunny every day. Now I'm wondering why I left and came back to cold, dreary Alabama.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Day before yesterday the high was 85° in Dallas. Yesterday it was 20°, today when I got up it was 18°F. Welcome to Texas.

By the end of the week it is predicted to be high 60's.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
In my area, this is what it has been like since the end of December....

whiteout.jpg

and this is what I have been dealing with since....

truck in snow.jpg

but, can only hope spring gets here soon, MI needs to thaw out!!

MI.jpg

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I thawed out my pickup this afternoon, and got out on the roads. The 4wd made a big difference, as did the increased ground clearance, but it is still very slick. I saw a guy in a Chrysler convertible nosed into a power pole just two blocks from my house.

The high here tomorrow is expected to be 36, but then well below freezing during the night, so it may be even worse Wednesday morning.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
A partial melt and a re-freeze? Good luck with that! :D
I got out for breakfast this morning. It's definitely slicker than yesterday, except where the traffic has worn through to the pavement. Most of the roads are still covered with ice, and crunchy snow.