Snake Playing Robot

NM2008

Joined Feb 9, 2008
Back to theamber's comment,
Now about the robot ouput you can open a regular relay and put the realy contacts touching the circuit board under the membrane keypad glue them with epoxy or use other holding mechanism (e.g. screws, clamps).
If you use any wiring/glue or screws under the membrane, the phone will not function as normal, i.e. the buttons you work on and possibly some others may not work due to the membrane (with contacts) being lifted off the board.

Regards NM

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Back to theamber's comment,

If you use any wiring/glue or screws under the membrane, the phone will not function as normal, i.e. the buttons you work on and possibly some others may not work due to the membrane (with contacts) being lifted off the board.

Regards NM
No, you could solder wires from the circuit board under the membrane to regular pushbotton swiches that do not need to be activated so rapidly and throw the membrane away. Do you have a better solution???

simplytuff

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Any of these solutions will require me to disassemble the phone which is not an option !

I want to built it to be played on any of the phones i mentioned in the first post !

Building it specifically for 1 phone is not what i want that's why i called it " Snake Playing Robot " so it can play snake any of the phones which have Snake Xenzia Game !

the solution which suits the best is the one with 2 Solenoids fitted on a case in which different phones can be placed , although the position of the solenoids may need some adjustment according to phone !

envytea

Joined Feb 18, 2008
Well, you could make the whole thing mechanically... Like maybe a cam shaft rotating at 2.38 Hz with two cams on it offset appropriately (one @ 0 degrees, the other at 120 degrees ?; I forget...). They could press the buttons. It would just be a matter of calibrating the motor speed and aligning everything. A little motor could run for hours- especially a gear motor running at a low rpm.

I bet the local store has little gear motors or timing motors- if not, check online at oh... American Science and Surplus (sciplus.com).

Nick

simplytuff

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I found a solenoid with 3 terminals , 1 common(ground) and other 2 for push pull !

Ive set up the solenoid with a 555 timer , but the solenoid only either push OR pull , i need to setup such as it push and then retract(pull) automatically before the next signal !

Below is picture of the setup !

Also the video :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnB5YU5yWHk

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Not familiar with that particular solenoid. Can you give a drawing of how it needs to be connected to push and to pull?

As an alternative, in single-action solenoids, a simple spring is used to effect the opposite movement. A pull-solenoid, for example, will have a compression spring around the shaft to re-extend the plunger after the current is cut. John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I suspect both the push and retract coils have the same polarity and the different actions are dictated by geometry, i.e., the retract is the rear coil and farthest from the tip of the plunger. That would explain the two pins and a common ground. Just wanted to confirm that fact before suggesting a solution. There might be some other configuration I haven't thought of.

John

simplytuff

Joined Mar 21, 2008
can any body post a schematic of 555 which i can use with this solenoid to push and retract immediately !

I guess we have to use 2 555 ICs for each solenoid , as 555 have only 1 output and we cannot give both terminals ( Push & Retract ) same output coz then they will malfunction

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Does the snake do any sounds as it goes? you could use them to synchronize the thing, because otherwise it will be hard to get it stable to last 10 hours.