SMS controller message validity..please help

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Hi all,

I am having a problem with a SMS controller where by the message validity settings are to low..If it sends a SMS message to a phone thats turned off or out of signal area for more than 5 hours the messages dont get delivered..ive tried over and over

I have since found out that all SMS messages has a validity period imbedded within them and on this SMS controller it is set way to low

today I took the cover off the SMS controller and found its using a Quectel M10 GSM controller this can be found here

http://www.quectel.com/info.aspx?id=10

On the instructions for this...

http://www.quectel.com/info.aspx?id=10

on page 104 its says about how to set the validity period and by default its set to 167 and can be raised to 255..

I am desperatly trying to find a way of increasing this value but have no clue how to communicate with the unit?

Please help

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
you need to use the command 4.2.16 on page 103, specifically the vp parameter.

Thanks...trouble is I still have no clue..is this possible do you think?...the quectel microcontroller is integrated into the SMS controller so im not sure how I can communicate with the quectel side of things nor do I understand what I am supposed to use i.e sms command, seperate program, terminal etc?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Thanks...trouble is I still have no clue..is this possible do you think?...the quectel microcontroller is integrated into the SMS controller so im not sure how I can communicate with the quectel side of things nor do I understand what I am supposed to use i.e sms command, seperate program, terminal etc?
First, I have no idea if the settings you do are persistent or have to be done each time you power the thing up.

You would have to somehow connect a logic-level serial line to the existing serial connection between the quectel and the main controller. Can you post some photos of the board?

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Here is the controller

http://gsmalarmsystem.en.alibaba.com/product/321785889-0/GSM_SMS_Controller_RTU5011.html

Here is a picture of the board in the controller

Here is the manual for the controller..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R7HJ999Y

Here is the sms commands for the controller

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FRJI8FVL

The controller has a serial lead attached to it that I connect to PC via a RS232 - USB convertor I use this to configure the sms controller itself but I dont think it is connected to the Quectel chip directly? The lead connects to the TXD, RXD and GND terminals

I am connected to the controller via SMS command so maybe there is a way of sending commands directly to it by SMS? I dont understand the commands as of the Queclec M10 commands file

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I suppose you could take the module out of the connector and connect it to a computer through for example a usb-to-ttl serial cable.
Then sending the right command should permanently change the setting.

Do you have any experience in electroncs or are you completely green?

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Hello again...

I have basic experience with soldering and understanding various components but as for plugging the unit into the PC in some fashion I havent a clue

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
im in the UK..

It has a serial connector on it that I use to set up the actual sms controler side of it...I use a RS232 - USB convertor..its connected to TXD, RXD and GND

someone said I wont be able to control the actual queltec as the manufactures microprocessor is attached to it i.e the sms control unit

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
even if i were to sucesfully connect to the queltec i have no clue as to what commands to use or even what software you use

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Yes, the cable you have connects to the microcontroller only. You will need to tap into the TXD and RXD connection between the micro and the queltec with the usb-ttl cable.

The software is not a big problem, you use windows right? The comand will be quite simple.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Please try to answer all questions or this is going nowhere. Is the quectel board connected to the base board by a connector?

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011
im pretty sure the quectel is connected to the sms units main board via a connector...I will take it apart again later on...I will try to take the quectel part off and see if I can see a TXD and RXD connection that I can hopefully connect a lead to

bowlingo

Joined Jun 29, 2011

The camera im using isnt the best quality...previous picture was taken using my Dads camera..

As you can see the Queltec is plugged into the board and on the back of it there are no connections/components etc

I have included the serial lead that I use to configure the controller (im not sure if this one could be used?) When I configure the controller I have it plugged into TXD, RXD and GND of which is on the connection strip on the side of the controller...I cant see anywhere obvious where you can plug into the Quectel removable board