SMPS Vs Transformer for 4KVA DC output

Bhargavkr

Joined Jun 16, 2009
Hi ,
Iam a Mechanical engineer experimenting with Electrolysis equipment and got suggested by a friend of mine to replace an existing part of my Auto transformer based power supply . Please see picture attached .

Description of circuit :
Inlet Voltage : 220V AC wall inlet

Output Voltage : 200 VDC
Output current : 15 AMPS continuous

Questions:
(1) The friend told me that using SMPS instead of Transformer design will give me savings on Electricity consumption . IS this true ?

(2) What exactly will be the difference between a transformer based DC power supply to SMPS ?

(3) How feasible will it be to construct a SMPS of such a output wattage ( almost 4KVA ) ? What impact on the price can i expect if we include adjustable output Voltage and current feature on SMPS ?

(4) Any ideas about the target price of such a product ? Any potential company that i may approach ? Iam located in India.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Bhargav

Attachments

Last edited:

Bhargavkr

Joined Jun 16, 2009
I guess the title was misleading . It is SMPS vs Auto transformer ( Variac ) . Please do let me know if it is the wrong forum :(

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If your setup works right, I don't think there is any reason to go for a costly new SMPS. Transformers are quite efficient things, so I don't think a SMPS will make any difference to your electrical bill, and it would have to be custom-made and will cost a lot.