SMPS tx in reverse has 0v out

m1ch43l

Joined Aug 16, 2012
I've read enough that computer SMPS transformers can be used in reverse, or most transformers for that matter.
I'm feed in mine with 40v squarewave and 4 amps. I'm only getting a buzz from my meter(switching noise at 150kHz) but it reads 0.
Help me troubleshoot this.:confused:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
So you have enough high power test equipment to drive a salvaged SMPS transformer with 40v 4A at 150kHz, but you don't have a scope?

Which pins are you driving? How have your measured anything, ie V or I going in or out of the windings? Any schematics or photos?

m1ch43l

Joined Aug 16, 2012
Normal digital meter. I measured current peaks at low frequency gating at 3 hz. Scopes are difficult to get.
See the schematic attached. I only made a change to the tx circuit by adding the RC series network to my perceived primary.
I've halved the frequency on the actual circuit. I'm yet to test the RLC network. I fail to get its purpose as regards to this circuit: I assume that it is used to absorb kickbacks...? In theory, based on these accounts, a snubber is really a non-necessity. Either way wouldn't hurt to put it.

second pin from GND bundle for the high power tx (the biggest of the three tx-es)
cheers.

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Sorry, but your diagram looks like complete rubbish.

Do you have any experience with SMPS supplies, or any high-freq test gear?

The SMPS transformer is very simple, you put HF AC current into one winding and it will produce HF AC current in another winding.