SMD soldering with hot air gun

dmta

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Hi all,

I saw a lot of you-tube videos on soldering SMDs with the use of a hot air gun and solder paste. But all of those boards had solder mask on them which aided the proper flow of solder. But is it possible to do this without the solder mask? (my first thought is that it can't be done)

The main reason I'm asking this is because I have this DRV8432 HSSOP package to be soldered.

Regards

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi all,

I saw a lot of you-tube videos on soldering SMDs with the use of a hot air gun and solder paste. But all of those boards had solder mask on them which aided the proper flow of solder. But is it possible to do this without the solder mask? (my first thought is that it can't be done)

The main reason I'm asking this is because I have this DRV8432 HSSOP package to be soldered.

Regards
Possibly a better method is a modified tabletop toaster-oven, you need a thermocouple - interface & micro as the temperature steps have to be pretty precise. Possibly; both Circuit Cellar and Nuts & Volts have published projects - I think Elektor magazine did the project as a series of articles, and can supply a kit.

Some types of solder paste will "bead" onto the solder pads if you don't lay it on too thick.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
How would you keep the parts from blowing off the PCB?
It is not a problem. After some trail and error you will learn it. HOWEVER this technique require that the component is heated in a way that the solder are melted at the same time. Then the surface tension will adjust the component into a nice fit. Even on board that do not have solder stop layer. This component may doable to solder using the hot air method. But it will not be a beginner project. And visual inspection after the solder process will be needed
EDIT: Proper purpose solder equipment will also be needed. You can not do this with a common heat gun. unless you like your component to behave like confetti on a windy day:D

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
How would you keep the parts from blowing off the PCB?
Once I constructed a wonderful contraption out of an old fridge compressor - part of the thin copper pipe was coiled and mounted with a gas burner, a carburettor jet brazed to the end of the pipe produced a fine jet of very hot air.

This was for harvesting SMD parts off scrap boards.

Simply place a cardboard box downrange to catch the SMD parts blasted clear.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I once reflowed a SMD PCB on my kitchen stove top. I used a piece of metal to keep the board off my (ceramic top) stove to keep the stove safe.

I gave up trying to set the temp with a thermocouple, so I just raised the temp some and waited till the solder just flowed.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I once reflowed a SMD PCB on my kitchen stove top. I used a piece of metal to keep the board off my (ceramic top) stove to keep the stove safe.

I gave up trying to set the temp with a thermocouple, so I just raised the temp some and waited till the solder just flowed.

I like that idea with the ceramic stovetop. I may try some using a plate of 1/4" thick sheet metal on my gas stove burner.
Right now, I've been trying to use my soldering station heat gun, but do not have the technique down yet.:(;)

dmta

Joined Mar 24, 2013
Thank you ALL for replying.

I wanted to ask this question before I ordered the part from TI free samples, so now I've ordered it.

Best regards