SMD multiple pad decoupling cap

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Because the silicon chip is large, and a cap on one side could only be connected to the other side of the chip by thin traces within the silicon. So the little doodads on the other side of the silicon get poor capacitizing.

If you put caps on both sides (or all 4 sides) of the silicon chip the caps are closer to all the little doodads on the chip. :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think I'm in love. A capacitor with 4 pairs of connections!
4 inductors in parallel have less impedance, like 4 resistors in parallel. Great way to get lots of conduction in a small space:p

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
4 inductors in parallel have less impedance, like 4 resistors in parallel. Great way to get lots of conduction in a small space:p
Then you will like the one with 10 pads (2 are on the ends).
Their explanations are on pages 148 and 152 of the datasheet. Odd numbered pads are one terminal of the capacitor, even pads the other.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hahaha! I just realised that I was the only person in this thread talking about why an IC (silicon chip) has multiple pads to connect to multiple capacitors!

Face palm moment. :D