smart navigation for visually impaired

RunningMan

Joined Jun 30, 2011
I need help on my project here.here's how the project goes:

A blind man walking in a supermarket.Then he will be guided by a transmitter receiver to where he want to go.example he is looking for apple.the device will guide him such as "walk left....now turn right....walk straight". something like this.from what i know there must be a transmitter and receiver.but i don't know what kind and the freq and stuff.

So please help me on how to build the devices and what are needed and stuff.Thank you very much!

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
I would suggest the transmitter be low power so it doesn't go much past the store boundaries. Receiver could be anything, but I suggest instad of talking, vibrate one way to go left, one way to go right, and continuous vibe to stop.

One issue with all projects is the issue of possible to build, and practical to build. Considering few stores are laid out exactly the same, exact shelves, exact distances etc. This project would end up being a custom application for each store. Very cost prohibitive. Currently many stores have staff that will shop with you if you need it, so it has to be cheap enough to replace this person the one or two times a day they may need to leave their regular duties to help.

How about posting what you have so far, so people here have something to comment on.