Small trip computer project but need help with a diagram,very rusty with electronics!

t-j-b

Joined Aug 2, 2012
Hello, I'm new here and looking for advise that could help me with a trip computer project I'm building. My electronics experience is limited, I took GCSE electronics in secondary school many many years ago!

I'm facing a problem with the wiring diagram that I have, basically I don't understand which components I need to use.

I have attached a copy of the diagram, and also uploaded it to imgur here http://imgur.com/TnaRb

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Where is the schematic coming from? Wasn't there a bill of material?

On the right side you have a few resistors, zener diodes and a transistor. Any of these components you should be able to find in any electronic component store.

The LCD display is a 16x2 (if the drawing is correct), like this one here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/255

EDIT: Just saw that it looks like a automotive device. If that's the case discussion will not be allowed on AAC.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What are you trying to accomplish?

Looks like you have LEFT, MIDDLE, RIGHT buttons to input something, and a big alphanumeric display to show the results. I don't understand what "switched ground injector" or "vss" leads are from or what they are for.

Guys, it doesn't look like he's modifying the vehicle, he's just powering it inside a car. I am sure he will bring the vehicle to a proper and complete stop before even looking at this thing, no less tapping the buttons.

t-j-b

Joined Aug 2, 2012
Its a trip computer that runs from a arduino powered board that can be programmed to read current MPG/Avg MPG ect of a car. Essentially the circuit board/LCD and all other components will be bundled into a box and mounted on the dash. and hooked up to power and a few other essential inputs.

The switched ground injector and VSS (vehicle speed sensor) are interpreted to provide an MPG reading.

I was having trouble identifying the components, I can recognise the LCD,resistors and zener diode but not the others.

Thank you for your help so far, I'm sorry if this type of project isn't allowed in the forum.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I was having trouble identifying the components, I can recognise the LCD,resistors and zener diode but not the others..
What others? Do you mean the components on the Arduino board? You will not need to identify them. This is all on-board stuff.