Small Rotary solenoid

CoopnJaxdad

Joined Jun 16, 2008
Hello everyone,
I have a small rotary solenoid that I am looking to use as a shutter in a xenon light source. I am an ME by trade so as you can imagine I don't know much about solenoids. The solenoid operates at 12 VDC and has a coil resistance of 275Ohms. I need to activate the solenoid by a switch to "close" the shutter and then "open" the shutter by pressing the switch again.

I guess my question is how simply can this done, will I need a solenoid driver?

Thank you,
Chris

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You could probably do this with a "latching relay." Several types are available, as long as the shutter doesn't have to operate too quickly. If great speed or precision in timing are needed, you could drive the solenoid with a darlington pair or a MOSFET. Either of these transistors could be in turn controlled by a simple digital latch.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
No you dont a special driver for this. There are switches which stay closed when you press the button once and release when you press the button for a second time. Be aware to find a switch which is capable of carrying the current needed by the coil.

CoopnJaxdad

Joined Jun 16, 2008
I have the switch I need. in my travels trying to learn about solenoids I keep seeing thinga about diodes to protect against the currnet kickback or something like that. Is that necessary? Please forgive my ignorance.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I have the switch I need. in my travels trying to learn about solenoids I keep seeing thinga about diodes to protect against the currnet kickback or something like that. Is that necessary? Please forgive my ignorance.
Ohh, yes i forgot to tell you that. You have to place a diode in parallel with the coil with its anode connected to 0 Volts (the same side the coil is connected to ground) and its cathode to the other site of the coil.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Here is what I am calling a rotary solenoid
Almost identical to the shutters we used in our Coherent General Super 48 Lasers.The shutters had a magnetically held relay to shut down if the laser did, and have to manually re-pened upon restarting.The shutter blade itself was gold plated and water cooled to keep the heat at bay when closed.