Small Radio Controlled Device

jayuin

Joined Mar 27, 2009
I have a bag locator I'm working on--a device that is meant to be switched on remotely to begin broadcasting a GPS signal so I can see where it is from my computer. The problem I have is that with my very limited knowledge, I can't figure out a way to make a small remote receiver that will switch the device on.

Currently I just have a toggle switch mounted on the side. But unless I'm sitting with the bag and switch it on right before I leave it, it doesn't do me any good.

To start with, I want to know a simple way to build a small radio receiver that I can mount inside the device against the flat panel of the inside so that the device will activate when I prompt it from the remote broadcaster. I want the toggle switch to become the way to determine if, upon receiving the radio signal, the device responds or not (so I could control wether it would activate when the right radio frequency hit it--I don't want it going off all the time when little kids are playing with r/c cars)

Secondly, the bag locater is already powered by a rechargeable battery. Is there a simple way that I could power the remote receiver by using the power from the rechargeable battery?

Finally I need to know how to make a remote controller (broadcaster). Currently I'd be happy if I could get it to broadcast from 100 feet away, or even 5 feet away. IR doesn't work because it has to be line of sight, and this will be inside my bag.

Ideally, I'd love to rip apart some r/c toy and just use the components, but I'm not even sure how I'd do that.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
The problem I have is that with my very limited knowledge, I can't figure out a way to make a small remote receiver that will switch the device on.
Use a cheap mobile phone fitted with a pre-paid phone card. You can then call that mobile number to turn the phone ringer ON.

Figure out a way to turn the GPS power ON when the phone ringer is ON.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Easier, wire it to the phone's vibrator motor...
Rc toys give only ranges of 100ft which is not the reason for which you chose GPS modules.. It should be accessible anywhere.. not just in your house.. Better go for the phone.. And if you try for more powerful R/C, you will be with FCC in some time.. Also RC devices needs to be kept powered on to recieve.. The standby current of these simple devices are not good..

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
If you just want to begin with a R/C toy, you can.. But thats just for experimentation and not a solution.. let us know if you need to..