Small PCB Design

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
I am a newbie to PCB design. Since I am a newbie, I went with single sided to make things easier

I made my best attempt to design PCB for LED indicator with connector current limiting resistor

1571754834262.png

I don't understand what should be hole size, pad , via size for my PCB board

1571757421927.png

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Was there a question there?
If through hole components, then the foil would be on the underside, normally.
Max.
This was the question
There is some parameter for clearance and size in two screenshots
I don't have idea what should be the size of hole, pad other parameter for my PCB

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
For most programs, the hole and pad sizes are specified in the components you selected. The minimum size for traces depends on current, but the width you're using seems unnecessarily narrow. You seem to be mounting the resistor standing up. Why? You have plenty of room.

I made my best attempt to design PCB for LED indicator with connector current limiting resistor
There's an artistic element for PCB layouts. I don't know what your constraints are, but your layout isn't very pleasing. Here's one with no wire bends:
1571761996125.png

I used Eagle. I don't care for the tiny pads they use on resistors, so I enlarge them to make them easier to solder and rework.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have new version of eagle

What should be wire size ?
What should be pad size?
what should be via size?
Pad side is part of the component definition. If you don't like it, you can edit the component, or do what I do - lay a wire over the pad.

Wire size is up to you. In my version of Eagle it defaults to 16 mils. I make my boards using toner transfer and the smallest I use is 8 mils, though I prefer larger. I use copper fill to reduce the amount of copper that has to be etched; so I make the traces 16 mils or wider whenever possible.

Your layout doesn't have any vias, but via hole and "pad" sizes are defined in Eagle.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Look at the datasheet for the parts you have chosen. There will be a section showing what the hole sizes need to be. Sometimes they give you the exact hole size to use, sometimes they tell you the size of the pins and you need to come up with the hole size yourself.

For example, I picked this one only because it came up first in a search:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=LTW-420D7&v=160https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Lite-On PDFs/LTW-420D7.pdf
Here it shows you the size of the part, so you need to create the hole size yourself. In this case the pins are rectangular, 0.45 x 0.4mm, and 2.54mm apart. So those square pins would fit through a round hole 0.6mm in diameter. You should be OK leaving yourself about 0.15-0.2mm clearance, so if you were using this LED you should be OK using holes 0.75-0.8mm in diameter, 2.54mm center-to-center.

1571769314969.png