Small Non-volatile memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelwh

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I'm looking for ideas on how to store a couple bits (anywhere from 2-10 bits) of info in non-volatile memory. Am I going to need an IC of some sort (and if so, what kind)?

I'm a beginner, so even the most obvious solutions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What comes to mind for me is just a micro with some internal EEPROM and just a little bit of code to somehow present and accept some data. It's basically a 1 chip solution, but which chip would depend on how many parallel bits, and how they are orientated (serial, parallel, etc).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We can offer lots of different solutions but as always, it is best for you to give is the big picture. Tell us what you are trying to do.

Michaelwh

Joined Feb 13, 2012
@ErnieM: I'm trying to avoid a micro controller...No real reason other than it might be too easy. I might end up in that direction, but I'd like to explore my options.

@MrChips: I've got a car with a remote start system, but my defroster and seat warmers are momentary switches so they don't save their state from the previous time the car was on. I haven't dug into the switches quite yet, but my "big plan" goes as follows:

-Monitor the LEDs on the switch (3 of them) and store them in ideally non-volatile memory. Although, I could probably find a constant power line there and the circuit probably wouldn't consume too much power.

-By monitoring a line that only gets power with "Car On" simulate button presses after the car starts.

As I said, a micro controller may end up being the best way, but I'd like to expand my circuit skills by trying to avoid it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The simplest solution would be to use CMOS flip-flops powered by a 3V watch battery. The battery will last for more than 10 years.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.