small lcd display question

gee_emm

Joined Jan 16, 2008
I have a small, maybe 7", lcd display from an accurian portable dvd player. My question is, does anybody know if I can power, say a small surveillance type camera, and have it feed the video signal directly to the screen? or would I need to build a whole lot of circuitry?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If it was removed from the DVD player, you would have to build a lot of circuitry.

Many DVD players have a Video In/Audio In along with Video Out/Audio Out. If it had a Video In, you might be able to use it for that, if the output video format of the camera were compatible with the input of the DVD player.

Otherwise, however you look at it, there will be a good bit of design work going into getting such a thing working. Your first challenge will be to locate a datasheet for the display.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
LCDs are digital devices, with huge numbers of wires coming off the edges to activate individual pixils. Some have circuitry attached to simplify the interfacing, but as Wookie says unless you have data or the consumer circuitry already intact it is a major chore.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Check if your DVD player has a 'video input' jack.

If so, that is where you feed the video camera signal, and the 'whole lot of circuitry' will be already contained in the player; even if the disc does not work because of some motor/read circuit failure.

If no such input provision, it will be a very complex project, costing much more in time, parts, sweat and tears than buying a LCD with 'video in' as for an automobile head rest.

Good luck,
Miguel