Small input Voltage to Transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bouncetherabbit, Jan 25, 2010.

  1. bouncetherabbit

    Thread Starter New Member

    Oct 25, 2009
    Hi all,

    I have a input voltage of 51mVp-p sine wave. I was thinking of using a transformer to amplify it. Is it possible? I've checked with farnell and they don't seem to have transformers to do the job. Does anyone know of any transformer (isolation) that can do it?

    Or any other way to amplify the voltage without the need to use amplifiers or stuff that need supply voltages?

  2. studiot

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 9, 2007
    Perhaps if you descibe your application further we might be able to suggest something.

    Sorry but your idea of
    is nonsense.

    The whole point of amplification is to supply power that was not in the original so you must have a power source.

    What can be done (perhaps with a transformer) is to make the best use of what you have. This is called impedance matching.
  3. JDT

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 12, 2009
    A transformer does not "amplify".

    You can use a transformer to increase the voltage. It does this by changing the impedance.

    For example:
    is a 4:1 transformer often used for matching low impedance microphones to amplifier inputs. It will increase the voltage by 4 times.