Small Grammar Correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
In the Fuses Chapter in the DC Volume there is the following sentence
Neither fuses nor circuit breakers were not designed to open in the event of a person getting shocked
This sentence has a double negative and thus reverses the meaning of what I beilieve the author intended it to say. I believe the correct saying would be

Neither fuses nor circuit breakers were designed to open in the event of a person getting shocked
All I did was remove the word "not" highlighted in bold above.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
In the "Factors Affecting Capacitance" chapter in the DC Volume there is the following sentence that I believe is a bit too vauge and abstract

PLATE AREA: All other factors being equal, greater plate gives greater capacitance; less plate gives less capacitance.
I think it would read much better the following way, changes highlighted in bold.

PLATE AREA: All other factors being equal, greater plate area gives greater capacitance; less plate area gives less capacitance.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
I found another tiny typo, thought I would just post it here rather than starting a new thread.

In the "Practical Considerations" for Capacitors chapter the following sentence has a typo marked in bold

Polarity: Some capacitors are manufactured so they can only tolerate applied voltage in one polarity but not the other. This is due to their construction: the dielectric is a microscopically thin layer if insulation deposited on one of the plates by a DC voltage during manufacture.
In cased you missed it, the if should be replaced by an of

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
Another typo in the Inductor Chapter under "Practical Considerations". Typo highlighted in bold

Equivalent circuit: Since inductor wire has some resistance, and circuit design constraints typically demand the inductor be built to the smallest possible dimensions, there is not such thing as a "perfect" inductor
Not should be replaced with no

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume I - DC > Chapter 16: RC AND L/R TIME CONSTANTS > Voltage and current calculations

The rise and fall of circuit values such as voltage in current in response to a transient is, as was mentioned before, asymptotic.
in should be and

Hi SiegeX!
Thanks so much for pointing out these mistakes. I'm going to let Dennis or Tony approve them first before I fix them here, as they are maintaining the book.

Thanks again

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
Im glad to be of help, it's the least I can do for such a great free resource. Have said that, here are two more I found in the same chapter:

All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 3: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- INDUCTIVE > Series resistor-inductor circuits

If we were to restrict ourselves to the use of only one form of notation, the best choice would be polar, because it is the only one that can be directly correlated to real measurements.
Change added in bold

Across voltage across the resistor is in phase (0o shift) with the current through it; and the voltage across the inductor is +90o out of phase with the current going through it. We can verify this mathematically:
Extra "Across" needs to be removed.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 3: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- INDUCTIVE > More on the "skin effect"

This is simply an estimated figure of pure resistance for the conductor (that opposition to the AC flow of electrons which does dissipate power in the form of heat), corrected for the skin effect.
I think it reads better with "the" added.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 4: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- CAPACITIVE > AC capacitor circuits

However, we need to keep in mind that voltage and current are not in phase here. As was shown earlier, the current has a phase shift of +90o with respect to the voltage. If we represent these phase angles of voltage and current mathematically, we can calculate the phase angle of the inductor's reactive opposition to current.
As you can see from the chapter heading, "inductor's" should be replaced with "capacitor's"

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 5: REACTANCE AND IMPEDANCE -- R, L, AND C > Parallel R, L, and C

The following picture has an error, you will notice that you have "Vic" listed twice, once above the capacitor and once above the resistor. The one above the resistor should be labled Vir as per the spice file dictates.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 7: MIXED-FREQUENCY AC SIGNALS > Other waveshapes

One very common way harmonics are generated in an AC power system is when AC is converted, or "rectified" into DC. This is generally done with components called diodes, which only allow the passage of current in one direction.
I added the words the and of

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 8: FILTERS > What is a filter?

A filter is an AC circuit that separates some frequencies from others in within mixed-frequency signals.
The word in should be removed

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume II - AC > Chapter 8: FILTERS > Low-pass filters

The capacitor's impedance decreases with increasing frequency. This low impedance in parallel with the load resistance tends to short out high-frequency signals, dropping most of the voltage gets across series resistor R1.

asm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
On the page you have two formulars for tan x the second one reads tan x = cos x/sin x it should be cot x = cos x/sin x

All About Circuits > Volume V - Reference > Chapter 5: TRIGONOMETRY REFERENCE > Right triangle trigonometry

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
Thanks for all the corrections. I am starting to work on them today. That is, I am making corrections to my local copy. My local copy has your previous corrctions from a few months ago.

After that, the next step is to get them online, either at Tony's site http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/ or I could send the html version only to allaboutcircuits. You could get the corrected version sooner that way. To get the correct version on Tony's site, I need to contact Toney about how he wants me to do that.

Since I have not yet dealt with Tony's site as far as updating goes, there will be a learning curve.

Something for you to think about.

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
Since I have not yet dealt with Tony's site as far as updating goes, there will be a learning curve.

Something for you to think about.
My intensions are not to get these mistakes fixed ASAP rather just have them documented so that they are easily availible when the time comes around to fixing them.

The fact that they might get fixed at all is good enough for me :)

-Sean

SiegeX

Joined Jul 22, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume III - Semiconductors > Chapter 4: BIPOLAR JUNCTION TRANSISTORS > Biasing techniques

With the capacitor and R2--R3 resistor network unloaded, it will provide exactly 2.3 volts worth of DC bias. However, once we connect this network to the transistor, it is no longer loaded
"loaded" should be changed to say "unloaded"

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by SiegeX@Apr 1 2005, 07:32 PM
All About Circuits > Volume III - Semiconductors > Chapter 4: BIPOLAR JUNCTION TRANSISTORS > Biasing techniques
"loaded" should be changed to say "unloaded"
[post=6640]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks for the error correction. I have changed it in my local copy of the source and added you to the list of contributors. This contribuitors page appears in the version at Ibliblio, though, not the AAC version.

Unregistered - Pola

Joined Dec 31, 1969
All About Circuits > Volume I - DC > Chapter 5: SERIES AND PARALLEL CIRCUITS -- 5.7 COMPONENT FAILURE ANALYSIS > p.150

The discussion is about a shorted resistor in a parallel circuit, it shows the circuit and the table of V,A, resistance.
If there is a short circuit, no current is flowing in the other branches of the circuit.
If an infinite current is flowing on the shorted branch, then there cannot be 50 mA left flowing in R1.

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
All About Circuits > Volume I - DC > Chapter 5: SERIES AND PARALLEL CIRCUITS -- 5.7 COMPONENT FAILURE ANALYSIS > p.150

The discussion is about a shorted resistor in a parallel circuit, it shows the circuit and the table of V,A, resistance.
If there is a short circuit, no current is flowing in the other branches of the circuit.
If an infinite current is flowing on the shorted branch, then there cannot be 50 mA left flowing in R1.
These are the images

Schematic diagram:
http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/00103.png

table:
http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/10094.png

MY interpretation is that
Sum( branch currents) = total current
infinity + 50mA = infinity

Infinity plus 50 mA = infinity is equivalent to saying a "large number" plus 50mA is equal to a large number.

As long as you believe that the ideal battery can maintain 9V across the short, the resistors will have a current flow. So much for theory.

In actual practice, even in a SPICE simulation, The 0 Ohm short across an ideal voltage source is not possible.

If enough readers would prefer a 0.1 Ohm resistor or other small value in place of the 0 Ohm short, I can rework the schematic, table, and text. I am looking for comments and opinions on what to do if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.