Small Audio Playback Machine

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'm putting together a schematic. I'll need to have you open the frame up and do some tests with a meter to determine how best to allow the PICAXE to control the frame. I can get you a parts list in a day or two, but you may need more items after we see the frame.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
The frame came in today. I'm gonna hold off on opening it up until I order the other supplies and they arrive so it's not left open for a while

What else do I need to get?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
If you want to get everything in one go, we'll need to see the inside of the frame so we know what kind of interface we'll need between the microcontroller and the frame. Before going too far, let me get an idea of what you already have on-hand and your electronic experience to date.

Do you have a multimeter and, if yes, do you know how to take voltage and resistance measurements?

Do you have a breadboard?

Would you prefer to build the programmer onto the circuit board (no need to remove the microcontroller to update programming) or keep it off the board (smaller overall board and you can use the programmer for future projects)?

Before cracking the frame open, power it up, test it, and think hard about which buttons you want to make touch sensors. Tentatively, I was thinking three (right, left, center buttons), but I don't know if those are the ones you really need or if you need more. This will dictate the size of the microcontroller.

Do you want any additional functions like turning on LEDs?

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Yes, I do have a multimeter and I can take voltage and resistance measurements

Yes, I have a breadboard

I won't be using this for anything else, so having it built in is okay. As for the buttons, I was thinking a start/top button (for slideshow) and then left, right. So three in total is all that's needed. And no, I don't really see the need to add anything more

Edit: well...it's broken. I don't know if the ribbon cable or the scren is broken, or if I scratched something on the board (which is the most likely scenario as I stuck the screwdriver in there thinking it would pop off when there were actually screws). So now I'm stuck

Last edited:

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Can you take and post some pictures of the unit as a whole and close-ups of where you think the damage is? We might be able to walk you through fixing it.

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
I honestly have no idea where it could be. I don't see any obvious scratches or scrapes, and I wouldn't know where to begin to look

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Did it work before you took it apart? If yes, I can attempt to take a look at it if you'd like if you'll ship it to me. Send me a PM if interested.

If it did not work or you didn't test it before disassembly AND there is no obvious cosmetic damage if you reassemble it, I'd make the assumption you got a bad unit and return it for another one. But that's just me. :)

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Well, here's a picture. I don't know....maybe it's just the screen? (Sorry for the link, it's too big to post in-line)

http://imgur.com/fDKX6Mx

If I unlock the ribbon cable and jiggle it around inside the connector, it will change colors. If I go to the main menu and click OK to go into pictures (I think), the screen will turn black for an instant and then go back to looking like that

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Have you tried putting a few pictures on an SD card and into the frame? Perhaps it is searching the SD reader, seeing nothing, and showing what you see as a result. Not sure what it does without an SD card installed. Double-check the manual.

Did you test it before you took it apart? Did it work (differently) when before you took it apart?

If the SD card doesn't fix it and nothing turns up in the manual, can you reassemble it without the appearance of having taken it apart? If so, exchange it for another one (who's to say you didn't get a defective one?). :)

z0oinks

Joined Sep 12, 2012
Before I took it apart, a setup screen would appear with three option- "Pictures" "Calendar" and "Settings"

And no, there are signs of it being taken apart. Before I realized I had to take apart the whole thing to get to the PCB, I tried prying a piece off, and now there are dents because of the screw driver

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Sorry, the holiday kept me busy at home.

With the power off, try removing then re-installing the ribbon cable. Wouldn't hurt to blow a little compressed air on the contacts and jack just to make sure there isn't any debris.

To elaborate, the ribbon cable is the thin wide orange cable going between the screen and the PCB. It goes into a connector that has a white base and black hinge. Lift the black hinge, pull the cable, spray compressed air onto the jack and cable, then carefully re-insert the cable firmly and close the black hinge.

If that doesn't work take a couple of clear pictures of the front and back of the PCB.