Skin Temp Sensor Build

dakrisht

Joined May 23, 2013
Hi everyone,

New to the forums and new to circuits and electronics, so forgive the dumb questions, trying to learn.

I want to create a skin temperature sensor to measure slight changes in skin temperature variation with an Arduino Uno.

I was looking at the TI TMP006 (http://www.ti.com/product/tmp006) sensor but not quite sure what IC I need or the best way to integrate the IC with a bandage or strap, for example, to display the temperature data in the Arduino console.

Would love to hear some thoughts and help on what I need to buy, learn and assemble to get this made.

Thanks in advance

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Since the sensor communicates through a serial line, you will need a microprocessor to read the temperature. The microprocessor can then display the temperature on an LCD.

dakrisht

Joined May 23, 2013
Right, I get that. The arduino would be the micro controller in this case and the output would be in the arduino console. My questions were: what is the right sensor for skin temperature with a high-degree of accuracy and variability and what are some additional components I would need? I.e. ADC, etc?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'd use an LM35 and one of those free multimeters you can get. The output voltage of the LM35 is 10mV per °C, so body temp will read 0.370 volts. Total cost less than $1.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I'm cheap, so a bead thermistor & a DVM , with a low V battery would have to do. A μC could take out the non linearity & display results.

dakrisht

Joined May 23, 2013
Thanks for the tips guys. I was able to get a bunch of free samples from TI, so I'll be using those. I guess from a beginners perspective (me) - any recommend tutorials or reads on how to build a skin temp sensor with an Arduino?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What are you really trying to do? Skin temperature is hard to measure accurately without the measurement itself changing the result. In fact I think you'd need a non-contact technique (like IR) to get an accurate value. Any belt, pad, bandage, etc. will influence the result. That may be OK if you're looking for changes.