Skills to work in embedded design

embed_guru

Joined Jun 16, 2011
If you were hiring manager for a company and needed an embedded design engineer, what skills would you look for? -
Are the following skills good enuf for an entry level position?-
1. Logic circuit design
2. Comp architecture
3. microprocessors and microcontrollers
4. assembly programming..
5. some basic electronics
6. C/C++ programming...incl knowledge of stuff like multi-threading.

pls advise..
Andy

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
It would really depend on what the company's product line was, as well as the size of the company. A small company would be more interested in a multi-talented engineer; a larger one would have separate hardware and software sections.

As an engineer, your list would probably catch my eye, although "some" basic electronics would raise a flag -- how much is "some"? As an HR manager, I would probably have a list to check your qualifications against.

If you do get called for an engineering interview, be prepared to go into a lot more detail about your list entries. (The HR interviews are more psych-type stuff. The HR folks need some way to justify their existence.)

--Rich

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
ENTRY LEVEL? Wow, you sure want a lot for no money.

1. Logic circuit design
Did he take a logic circuit course?
Check

2. Comp architecture
Is he3 going to design computers?
Unnecessary

3. microprocessors and microcontrollers
Same thing, isn't it? Did he take a course on either?
Check

4. assembly programming..
Is your company too cheap to buy a decent compiler?
If so, start posting your own resume.
It is a plus if he has done some
Unnecessary

5. some basic electronics
Are the last two letters of his degree "E" and "E"?
Check

6. C/C++ programming...incl knowledge of stuff like multi-threading.
Do you actually use C++ for embedded or are you just repeating
buzzwords you read somewhere? If you can tell me what "RTOS"
stands for then I'll answer you about multi-threading.
Bottom line: did he take ANY course on programming anything?
Check

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
As mentioned, it really depends on the company or product.

For some, embedded design is running under Linux (or doing driver/kernal coding), where you do more high-level coding. In this case, C/C++/scripting, OS, and networking may be important skills to have.

For others, it's bare-metal programming on an embedded micro, controlling hardware. Here, being able to read a schematic, use a scope or logic analyzer, and solder are useful skills. Knowledge of communication schemes (serial, USB, I2C, SPI, etc.) can also be quite useful.

In any case, being able to break down problems, schedule, do design, and learn new stuff are important. Being able to understand and make hardware/software tradeoffs can also be quite valuable.

/mike