single-phase loads on 3-phase circuit

gummo

Joined Jan 21, 2009
I am working on designing a power distribution panel that will supply power to UV lamp ballasts. The power coming into the distribution panel is 240VAC 3-phase. Suppose I have three single-phase loads (where the load is an arrangement of ballasts), each 48 Amps. If the three loads are balanced (one load across phase a-b, one load across a-c, and one load across b-c), will the full-load amps of the power distribution panel be 48 Amps? I will need to put this value on a label and attach it to the panel (per UL and NEC), and also need to know so I can size the main circuit breaker (which I know how to do if I can determine the FLA).

Upstream of the panel, there is a 480/240VAC 3-phase transformer. Not sure if it is delta or wye connected, or if it even makes a difference. Someone was telling me that I need to multiply the 48 Amps by the square root of 3 to get the FLA.

Does anyone have any answers or insight on the above? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005

gummo

Joined Jan 21, 2009
Thanks for your help. I understand it better now. The transformer doesn't matter. It didn't occur to me at first that connecting single phase loads across the lines turns out to be a delta connected load. It makes more sense now.