single phase inverter

diya khan

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Hi,

For a single phase inverter circuit,is it true that the Vgs of High side is always greater than the low side Vgs? is yes then why!!

Thank You:)

diya khan

Joined Nov 29, 2010
doesnt a full bridge single phase inverter have two legs, each leg consists of two power devices (MOSFET/IGBT) connect in series??

by saying high side, i meant the source is not low but "high" or above ground.

diya khan

Joined Nov 29, 2010
doesnt a full bridge single phase inverter have two legs, each leg consists of two power devices (MOSFET/IGBT) connect in series??

by saying high side, i meant the source is not low but "high" or above ground.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Hi,

For a single phase inverter circuit,is it true that the Vgs of High side is always greater than the low side Vgs? is yes then why!!

Thank You:)
Vgs of the high side switch is in general the same as Vgs of the low side switch.

Please post a diagram or the source of information you are referring to.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
But it still is only 10V to the gate. This is what a high side gate driver does. The bootstrap capacitor forms an isolation barrier from the source voltage, while still putting 10V to the gate.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I mean to ask Vgs applied to g1 should be higher than Vgs applied to g4? because for g4 mosfet, source is connected to ground, but for g1 mosfet, source is floating.

am i wrong?
"Vgs" means the voltage from the gate to the source of the SAME MOSFET.

Of course, if you measure to ground, Vg of the upper switch will be higher than that of the lower switch, depending on the bus voltage.

It is however usually never done like this.

The upper switch's source terminal is not floating with respect to the MOSFET driver's output, the one that provides the Vgs.