Single Momentary Button to Control Latching Relay

NacIK

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I am trying to set up a remote start for my 99 Tahoe. I have it mostly figured out and am stuck on one last part. I need to make a circuit that controls a Latching relay with a single momentary push button. I want it to work like an impulse relay, but don't want to fork out $25 for each relay. The relays could either be single coil (polarity change) or dual-coil (separate signals) I believe a 555 timer or a decade counter would work to control the relay, but I am not sure how to hook one up to the circuit. Thanks.

Also, a alternate action push button wont work in this case because the circuit is getting multiple pulses from different switches, including a remote control keyfob output. I used on a bypass circuit I made to complement the circuit I am working on, but wont work for the ignition switch. I will post my initial schematics later if needed for explanation.

Last edited:

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
I am trying to set up a remote start for my 99 Tahoe. I have it mostly figured out and am stuck on one last part. I need to make a circuit that controls a Latching relay with a single momentary push button. I want it to work like an impulse relay, but don't want to fork out $25 for each relay. The relays could either be single coil (polarity change) or dual-coil (separate signals) I believe a 555 timer or a decade counter would work to control the relay, but I am not sure how to hook one up to the circuit. Thanks.

Also, a alternate action push button wont work in this case because the circuit is getting multiple pulses from different switches, including a remote control keyfob output. I used on a bypass circuit I made to complement the circuit I am working on, but wont work for the ignition switch. I will post my initial schematics later if needed for explanation.
Simpest method would be to use a DPDT monetary action, center off toggle switch with spring return to center position toggle switch (sounds complicated but it's an available switch). Wire a single coil latching relay's coil terminals to the two common switch terminals. Wire your 12vdc and ground to two of the normally open terminals and finally install two wires in a X pattern between the opposite normally open and normally closed contacts.

Lefty

NacIK

Joined Apr 6, 2009
That would work, but the circuit has to use momentary buttons that are already installed. Plus, I would like to control this with my remote using only one button. Now if that was a relay and not a switch, that would be perfect.

NacIK

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Is there an ic that could control a dual-coil latching relay, like a flip-flop or something like that. On the first pulse the chip sends a signal to one bank. On the next pulse it sends it to another. Then back to the first.

If I have to I will go with regular relays and a few AND gates to replace the latching gates, but for power consumption and layout issues, the latching relays would work better in this situation.