Single Line UART to RS232?

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
Off the top of my head I think this is no problem but I am just asking to verify.

Is it possible for me to take a single line UART TTL level signal that is half duplex and use a RS232 converter IC or something like a this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/133# so that I can send and receive data on that line from my PC?

The only wires on the UART side is 5VDC, Data, & GND. I want that data over the RS232 line with a DB9 plug. Will it work in both directions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The RS232 protocol has a separate receive and transmit line (look at schematic of the device you referenced). Do you have only one TTL signal line? Is it bidirectional? :confused:

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
The RS232 protocol has a separate receive and transmit line (look at schematic of the device you referenced). Do you have only one TTL signal line? Is it bidirectional? :confused:
My apologies. For the UART there are separate TXD & RXD lines and then there is PNP on the TXD line and a NPN on the RXD line. They combine it on a single bus.

Would I eliminate this circuitry and just tie those UART TXD & RXD to a RS232 chip like a MAX3232?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
My apologies. For the UART there are separate TXD & RXD lines and then there is PNP on the TXD line and a NPN on the RXD line. They combine it on a single bus.

Would I eliminate this circuitry and just tie those UART TXD & RXD to a RS232 chip like a MAX3232?
That sounds correct to me. You need separate TXC and RXC lines for RS-232.