Simulating software

Transatlantic

Joined Feb 6, 2014
I haven't been doing any work in Electronics for a long time and was looking to get back into it, but when I did, we used to use some software called Crocodile Clips to simulate our circuits. Recently I've been looking at the simulators that are popular today and have been trying out the Multisim and Proteus demos. They seem to be a lot more advanced than Crocodile Clips, but the one thing I've noticed is that they don't show you when a component is being overloaded/damaged. For example, in Crocodile clips, if you were to overload an LED by giving it too much power, it would show as being damaged, of if it wasn't getting enough power, it would show dimmer. I've found this to be very helpful in the larning stages and was wondering why the top simulators don't also do this? ... that is unless Im missing something.

Is it just a case of having to put Voltmeters/ameters all over the place to check that components aren't being overloaded/getting enough power?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I also recommend LTspice as it's a good version of Spice (most common analog simulator) and used by many on these electronic forums so they can often answer your questions about it and help you with your simulations.

It doesn't warn you about overloads but, after simulating a circuit in the transient (time-domain) mode, if you click the cursor while over a part it will plot the current through the part. If you click while also pressing the ALT key over the part, it will plot the power being dissipated in the part. You can also plot the voltage drop across a part using waveform arithmetic. From all these you can determine if any of the part's maximum ratings are being exceeded.