Simpson 260 VOM Reverse Banana Leads

Justa

Joined Nov 18, 2008
I just picked up a used Simpson 260 series 7 VOM to replace my dying old analog meter. The lead jacks in the case of the Simpson are reverse banana :eek: or in other words there is a male banana jack in the case so it requires leads terminated with a female banana jack.

I am looking for a female to female banana jack adapter to plug into the Simpson so I can use all my other standard leads terminated with male banana jacks. Does anyone know where I can find a female to female adapter to accomplish this? The local stores do not have this and I have had no luck searching on the internet so far.

Thanks!

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I just picked up a used Simpson 260 series 7 VOM to replace my dying old analog meter. The lead jacks in the case of the Simpson are reverse banana :eek: or in other words there is a male banana jack in the case so it requires leads terminated with a female banana jack.

I am looking for a female to female banana jack adapter to plug into the Simpson so I can use all my other standard leads terminated with male banana jacks. Does anyone know where I can find a female to female adapter to accomplish this? The local stores do not have this and I have had no luck searching on the internet so far.

Thanks!
You might see if those reversed banana leads aren't just "barrels" the guy stuck in there. See if you can just pull them out.

Eric

Justa

Joined Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion KL7AJ,

You would think that but apparently Simpson got on a safety kick at one point and incorporated the reverse banana connectors into this stellar meter. There really is male banana jacks on the meter case for female banana jack leads so I am still hoping the female to female banana adapter exists somewhere so I can use one standard lead set.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion KL7AJ,

You would think that but apparently Simpson got on a safety kick at one point and incorporated the reverse banana connectors into this stellar meter. There really is male banana jacks on the meter case for female banana jack leads so I am still hoping the female to female banana adapter exists somewhere so I can use one standard lead set.
Looky here:
http://www.testpath.com/Items/Single-Banana-Plug-Splice-Black-Pkg-of-10-112-279.htm

Justa

Joined Nov 18, 2008
Yeah Man! :p
Those will work. Now I can stick to one standard set of lead without having to start buying ones dedicated to the Simpson.
Thanks so much!!!

NA7MT

Joined Jan 18, 2012
I had the same problem. I bought a used Simpson 260 Series 7 to add to my collection of other nice analog and digital test meters. The reverse banana leads that came with the Series 7 were toast. I could have bought a new set of reverse banana leads for $20 to $30, or a few of the banana splices mentioned in another post for $16 to $18. But I had a google of regular male banana pin to test prod, spring clip, alligator, and/or whatever leads all around my shop. Some were brand new, or nearly so.
I thought, should I by another set of leads with the reverse bananas on them just for use with the Series 7? Buy a set banana splices? Buy some reverse banana connectors and graft them on to a set of test prod leads? Well, I decided to do a little checking around the shop for something to adapt the jacks on the Series 7 to accept the male pins on all of my various test leads. Tried 10/12 AWG yellow butt splices . . too small. Tried various sizes of copper tubing . . did not work. Then I tried a 1 inch long by 1/4 inch diameter galvanized roll pin. Eureka!! They worked perfectly!!
http://www.engineersedge.com/roll_pin.htm
I did have to squeeze or spread the end going into the Series 7 jacks on a couple of them to make a tight fit on the meter jacks so that they would stay in place as the male test lead pin was pulled out. All of my male test lead pins fit AOK, no modification needed on that end. These roll pins are sometimes called spring pins, split pins, C pins, or tension pins. They are available at most any auto parts or hardware store. They cost anywhere from 50 to 70 cents each. The ones I used are from KAR part number 72617. Found them at Fastenal part number 0165964. Length 1 inch. Nominal outside diameter .26 inch. Nominal wall thickness .05 inch.
Nominal inside diameter .158 inch (which is the same as a female banana jack socket!). The average diameter of the tip of male banana pins is about .151 inch and the spring fingers average about .160 to .180 inch.
Making a perfect fit as you insert them into the roll pin. I adapted all 8 of the jacks on my Series 7. The roll pins can be removed with a small needle nose at any time if needed. I colored the visable ends with black permenant marker to make them look like part of the meter.
Now I can use all of my various male banana test leads with the Series 7!

Last edited: