Simply lost

fanman

Joined Jan 30, 2007
:confused: I am building a box with a fan in it the fan needs to run on 5VDC, 0.1A. I want it battery powerd but i have no clue on how to even begin. so if someone could give me some sort of help, i would love it!

this is what type fan it is. I think it is made for computers. Delta Electronics 5VDC Fan

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You have your choice of 3 D-cells at 4.5 VDC nominal or 4 D-Cells at 6 VDC nominal. At that current draw you should have a few minutes anyway. As the batteries discharge there will be a point where the voltage will be 5 Volts. The fan motor will run a bit faster at 6 Volts and a bit slower at 4 volts. The good news is that you're unlikely to hurt anything.

fanman

Joined Jan 30, 2007
So i will only get several minutes of battery life?
how many amps does a battery run at? i was hoping that the batterys would last several hours. is there any way to do this?

by the way this fan is only one inch square.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

You may have a small fan, but the 100 milliamp figure is fairly steep for most batteries. Even big D cells are not made for a continuous draw like that. Unless you just have to have the fan battery powered, think about getting a wall transformer.

fanman

Joined Jan 30, 2007
How easy would that be to do? I just need this fan to run once or twice a day to remove humidity. If i had to plug it in it wouldnt be too bad.

My problem is not knowing where to start.
So what would i need for this project?

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Using 4 NiMH rechargeable AA's will give you around 4.8 volts. A Fully charged bank of 4 x 2500mAH cells should run a 100 mA fan for close to a full day before you would have to recharge them.
BTW, have you checked if a small fan like that will shift the quantity of air required for your project..?

fanman

Joined Jan 30, 2007
Yeah the box is less than a foot square and the fan moves 1.2 - 1.5 cfm so it should be well ventilated. If i were going to plug this box into the wall, what all would i need?
I guess what I'm asking for is, could someone build this for me on paper so i have step by step instructions to follow. I actually would like it to be a plug in device, you know plug it into the wall. That would save money plus make the box itself lighter. any diagrams or instructions on how to begin and what i need, would be great!

fanman

Joined Jan 30, 2007
one more question where would i have to go to get the female end that would fit that wall plug you directed me to?