Simplest transmitter and receiver circuit ?

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
Im looking for the simplest transmitter and receiver circuit that can be built that act in the same way as good old morse code but instead of having a speaker at the receiver end have a led that lights instead.Only want a few meters range ideally,is it possible to design it without a crystal literally using the bare amount of parts ?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Simple enough. Look up the circuit for any wireless AM or FM transmitter and modulate the microphone input with any sort of oscillator in the audio range, then simply use an old portable radio as your receiver.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A child's walkie talkie has only 4 transistors and costs almost nothing. Nobody uses Morse code today so you will need to modify it so it clicks instead of talks.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
A child's walkie talkie has only 4 transistors and costs almost nothing. Nobody uses Morse code today so you will need to modify it so it clicks instead of talks.
Actually if I recall the last ones I looked at had built in morse code buttons on them. $2.99/pair at the Dollar store.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
You said the simplest.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/radio1.htm

In theory this is the simplest transmitter possible. ;)

By tapping the terminals of a 9-volt battery with a coin, you can create radio waves that an AM radio can receive!

You are creating a changing electromagnetic field, i.e. a radio signal. I know this is not what you meant, but I remember reading about this one time and was amazed at how simple radio waves really are. Apparently any AC signal emits them!!! If you have an AC signal with frequencies close to the radio frequencies you might get interference.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Actually if I recall the last ones I looked at had built in morse code buttons on them. $2.99/pair at the Dollar store.
What kind of Dollar store has prices of $2.99?

Wouldn't that be the $2.99 store?

;)

As for you led opposed to speaker requirement, If you used a neon indicator, that could be as easy as swapping the speaker with an indicator.

curry87

Joined May 30, 2010
Can someone please suggest a circuit design to this problem.Say i have a switch on a door that is closed when it is open this sends that signal to a transmitter then to a receiver wireless located 3 meters that lights up an led ?

What circuit requires less components am or fm receiver transmitter ?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
There are things called ZigBees which act as transmitters on the 2.4GHz band. You can send serial data over them. Because of the low power they are completely legal to operate without a license. But beware of interference in this band especially from WiFi, microwaves, etc. which all use 2.4GHz. You still need a microcontroller on either end to send and receive data.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
What kind of Dollar store has prices of $2.99?

Wouldn't that be the $2.99 store?

;)
They just call them that around here, we actually have three major variations. Inone every item is priced at exactly $1, another it's in multiples of $1 and the third is srot of multiples of a dollar but everything ends in .99

As for you led opposed to speaker requirement, If you used a neon indicator, that could be as easy as swapping the speaker with an indicator.
Neon takes up to 95 volts before it ionizes and starts conducting, an LED will usually light to some extent when plaed across speaker terminals.

But honestly, I've seen pairs of walkie talkies with morse code keys for $2.99 in those stores. Not that they're worth that to begin with but then they'll sell you their batteries and whatever junk they try to attract your eyes with so they make a profit regardless. You might even be able to find them online for that price but shipping would kill the deal.

TIP: When I see something cheap on Amazon with the "Super Savings Shipping" offered yet it's an inexpensive item I just add it to my cart and save it for later. Eventuially I'll need something over $25 or things will finally add up to that.