simple voltage booster for solar power?

rudyauction8

Joined Jan 27, 2012
I recently got about 15 solar lights without batteries (and may be getting more soon), the solar panels put out around 3-4 volts each but I'd like to use them to trickle charge a SLA battery. I'd prefer parallel wiring to allow the use of different size solar panels, and I picked up a small inductor from radioshack a while back and never used it, so what's the best way with a single 30v 150a logic mosfet, a handful of small NPN and PNP transistors, a couple 555's and nearly unlimited resistors and capacitors and a couple 2 amp 50v diodes to build a booster capable of handling say 2 amps input at 2-4 volts and supplying minimum 14 volts output at full power? For cooling (if needed), I've always wanted to submerge a working circuit in vegetable oil (this does work, right?)

I've seen many circuits on google but I'm not sure which one fits my needs.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
At 2 V minimum output from the solar cells, you might have to grow a small booster to generate enough volts to run the control circuit for the big booster. Maybe a 2-transistor multivibrator or a 1-transistor blocking oscillator.

ak

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
With an input 2A at 4V you are only dealing with 8W maximum. If your boost circuit is, say 75% efficient, you are only looking at 2W dissipation, and this will be distrusted among various components. So immersion in oil is a bit of overkill. In fact you might not even need a heatsink.

Bob

rudyauction8

Joined Jan 27, 2012
With an input 2A at 4V you are only dealing with 8W maximum. If your boost circuit is, say 75% efficient, you are only looking at 2W dissipation, and this will be distrusted among various components. So immersion in oil is a bit of overkill. In fact you might not even need a heatsink.

Bob
I figured the oil would be overkill but since I may be adding more solar panels I figured I should make it capable of handling the extra power.

Here's a circuit I'm looking at, would it fit my needs without the zener diode (no regulation needed) and maybe with a few different component values to get a higher output voltage?

rudyauction8

Joined Jan 27, 2012
At 2 V minimum output from the solar cells, you might have to grow a small booster to generate enough volts to run the control circuit for the big booster. Maybe a 2-transistor multivibrator of a 1-transistor blocking oscillator.

ak
What's the easiest way with what I have laying around?

Or I could run the booster control circuit off of a 9 volt rechargeable battery, charged by a separate 9 volt solar panel, or even of the SLA battery if this won't cause problems.