simple vibrating pad

lihle

Joined Apr 12, 2009
guys. i need your advice on how to design a simple vibrating pad that would wake me up in case the in a fire alarm. i am trying to design this for disable people in case fire break out he can be woked up by the vibration of the system.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
That really is a tough challenge in that anything I would want to sleep on would be soft and vibrations will not travel through soft bedding material. I sure don't want to be sleeping with a cell phone vibrator motor stuck in my back.

Thats why most fire alarms include strobe lights. Strobes are typically strong enough that you notice them even with your eyes closed.

Good luck

lihle

Joined Apr 12, 2009
To Mcgyvr

thanks for your reply.i would like to point out that the person wont be sleeping on a vibration whole mattress but i want something that would shake him up in case of fire alarm.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'd just do whats in the links I posted above. A plastic enclosure with a motor inside with enough amplitude to awaken someone. Really all you need is a DC motor with an offset load on the shaft. Changing the load weight and size can vary the "vibrations"

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Go to a local store that sells beds and you should be able to find vibrator units that can be bolted to the bed frame. Then use the smoke alarm's signal to activate a relay that turns on the vibrator. I'd imagine you could trigger a logic gate from the voltage on the sonic alarm, then use the gate's output to turn on a solid state relay. Simple and would require few parts, although you might want to provide some external power for the gate and SSR to avoid putting more load on the detector's battery (they're usually wimpy 9 V batteries).

lihle

Joined Apr 12, 2009
guys. i am having problem since i cant get the readly made vibrator since i am from africa. so help me out how can i just develop is unising a permanent magnet and a spring

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
I'd just do whats in the links I posted above. A plastic enclosure with a motor inside with enough amplitude to awaken someone. Really all you need is a DC motor with an offset load on the shaft. Changing the load weight and size can vary the "vibrations"
Read above. You have already been given an answer that should meet your requirements. Surely you can get DC motors in Africa. If you control the motor by the output of a fire alarm through a relay you shouldn't have any problems. Should be pretty simple and cheap.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
guys. i am having problem since i cant get the readly made vibrator since i am from africa. so help me out how can i just develop is unising a permanent magnet and a spring
No way to vibrate unless you can provide it some power. At the very least you'll need an electromagnet of some sort that will take a decent amount of AC current and a large ferrrous plate of metal.

AMIT_GOHEL

Joined Jul 13, 2010
Hello lihle,

really nice project...
Use cellphone vibration motor nd make regid connection of it with the plastic case/box...

you can find such a motor in any cellphone,you just need to have screw driver(of cellphone) and some basic knowledge about operating voltage of vibration motor.

After completing project post your project pics...

Regards....

I don't think a cellphone vibrator will have anywhere near enough energy to do what he wants. He needs something that will wake a sleeping person that is more than likely deaf. The person will need to feel the vibration through the bed or pillow.

AMIT_GOHEL

Joined Jul 13, 2010
I don't think a cellphone vibrator will have anywhere near enough energy to do what he wants. He needs something that will wake a sleeping person that is more than likely deaf. The person will need to feel the vibration through the bed or pillow.
I've cheaked by my self(just now) and it 's working..
Vibrations due to moter is sufficient so it can wake up even a deaf person..
i've place nokia5233 and also tried with one of samsung model behind the pillow nd called from other cell..

U just do the same and u'll belive my friend...

Regards....

AMIT_GOHEL

Joined Jul 13, 2010
Samsung vibrating moter gives bettr result then nokia,so prefer samsung's moter...
in order to make project u not suppose to take moter from mobile..it can be availabe at native mobile parts shop...

lihle

Joined Apr 12, 2009
Hello lihle,

really nice project...
Use cellphone vibration motor nd make regid connection of it with the plastic case/box...

you can find such a motor in any cellphone,you just need to have screw driver(of cellphone) and some basic knowledge about operating voltage of vibration motor.

After completing project post your project pics...

Regards....
i will make sure i post my project pictures once i am done.

lihle

Joined Apr 12, 2009
Samsung vibrating moter gives bettr result then nokia,so prefer samsung's moter...
in order to make project u not suppose to take moter from mobile..it can be availabe at native mobile parts shop...
i've just tested the motor it is possible to use it. but first i will have to design the pad and then i will let you know about my progress.

lihle

AMIT_GOHEL

Joined Jul 13, 2010
i've just tested the motor it is possible to use it. but first i will have to design the pad and then i will let you know about my progress.

lihle
Hi lihle,
Nice to see u again..

One thing i want to tell u that make hardware in such a way that maximum vibration can take place and moter must be perfectly fixed to it's place and same way comfortabe to put pillo on it and sleep..

Best of luck...

lihle

Joined Apr 12, 2009
Hi lihle,
Nice to see u again..

One thing i want to tell u that make hardware in such a way that maximum vibration can take place and moter must be perfectly fixed to it's place and same way comfortabe to put pillo on it and sleep..

Best of luck...
i will have a look at it.