Simple question about solenoids...

J6Str

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Hi! Im new...please be gentle...

I would like to take this oppurtunity to say "Hello!" amd introduce myself...

I am J6Str, and I require assitance :)

So im working with solenoids for the first time. Im using one as a launcher, in a sense, although I'm aware I'll have to use other components to effictively launch the projectile. So my question is this...

What should I connect the solenoid to? Yeah I know, newb question...but I don't really wanna waste loads of time on this project.

I've read up on DC, AC, and PWM as power sources and am looking towards using DC. I was told to use limiting resistors (in accordance with the specs of the solonoid, which I am waiting for) and would like to know a GENERAL idea on what to connect it with. Was also told to use Transistors, but I am not sure on which kind I should use.

As mentioned, never used solenoids before, would like to know what would be the best way to connect it to a DC source, since I don't think hooking it up straight to the source would work and don't really have enough money to experiment with different things (as I was instructed to do so...)

Thanks for your time and consideration and for any help or ideas provided by this forum.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
As mentioned, never used solenoids before, would like to know what would be the best way to connect it to a DC source, since I don't think hooking it up straight to the source would work and don't really have enough money to experiment with different things (as I was instructed to do so...)
Solenoids are very similar to relays in their electrical requirements. All that is required to operate a solenoid is to connect it to the voltage for which it was designed. While the circuit from which it is powered may have special requirements, the solenoid itself only has to be connected to the specified voltage in order to operate.

J6Str

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Solenoids are very similar to relays in their electrical requirements. All that is required to operate a solenoid is to connect it to the voltage for which it was designed. While the circuit from which it is powered may have special requirements, the solenoid itself only has to be connected to the specified voltage in order to operate.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'll do as you instructed.