Simple question about capacitors

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by ollie, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. ollie

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 11, 2008
    Is there anyway that I can connect a variable capacitor so it 'fades in'?

    I want to have an audio signal (straight out of a guitar) fade in but be able to alter the fade time

    If there is no way of doing this is there any other way of having an adjustable fade for this kind of application? My only other thought was to figure out a way of hooking up a digital ramp to do a similar kind of thing


  2. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    By using the variable cap as the interstage coupling capacitor, you might get the fade effect. You also might have a hard time finding a variable capacitor large enough to do the trick. It would probably have to be hand-adjusted.

    Since you're talking about a digital ramp, consider a digital potentiometer where a digital pulse train controls the rate of change. It would work like a fader pot in a mixer board.
  3. ollie

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 11, 2008
    hmm, ok.

    What If I did a simple time delay circuit (resistor in series with capacitor) and used a pot for the resistor. It would change the amount of delay but would it still work as a fade as the cap fills?