SIMPLE PROJECT HELP! Wiring a switch?

Gershwin

Joined Jul 15, 2011
How can I make my motor run in oposite directions by flicking the switch, the switch has three pins, I can change the switch to a different switch if I knew what sort I need and how to wire it. There are two push to break switches also in the circuit, I want the motor to run one way continually until I press one of the push to break switches, then by flicking the main switch the motor starts to run in the oposite direction again continually until the other push to break switch is pressed.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Something like this then:

The motor wires were drawn as blue lines to differentiate them from the battery positive (red) and negative (black) wires.

The switch is a double-pole double-throw (DPDT) toggle switch. (ON)-(ON)

Right now, you have a single-pole double-throw (SPDT) toggle switch.
A DPDT looks similar, except it has two rows of three connections.
The two rows are electrically isolated from each other.
The center terminals are the common terminals.

Note that rapidly reversing the direction of the motor is hard on both the switch and the motor.
For this type of an application, it is good to use a switch that has a "center off" position, so that you can allow the motor to coast to a stop before reversing it. (ON)-(OFF)-(ON)
Another variation is using a switch that is spring-loaded to a center-off position, so that the motor run positions are momentary. (MOM)-(OFF)-(MOM)

Attachments

Last edited:

Gershwin

Joined Jul 15, 2011
Hey thanks! Superb info! Just rushed down to my nearest Maplins and got DPDT switch, your diagram of how to wire it up is very helpful, Im going to wire it up right now.

Thanks again!