Simple Oscillator and Bell Driver Circuit.

mojojerry

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Hello to all. I am a newbi here. I would just like to say hi to all. I also have a question. I need to make an Oscillator and Bell Driver Circuit. I have a Bell that runs off of 12vdc that a friend wants to connect to a 12vdc car batt. He would like to adjust the ringing frequency between 30 and 150 cpc. Any suggestions for a cheap dependable circuit. I was fixing to buy a timer circuit and a transistor to drive it. I have been out of electronics so long I thought that it would be better to ask for some assistance. thanks jerry :)

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
A 12V car batter is a bit much so I would suggest you use a simple 9V battery. As for the oscillator, you can use the 555 timer which should drive the bell and set the frequency you want. I would recommend that you take a look at Bill's blog on the 555 and also search online for circuits.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello to all. I am a newbi here.
Hello Jerry - we specialize in n00bs here ;)

I need to make an Oscillator and Bell Driver Circuit. I have a Bell that runs off of 12vdc that a friend wants to connect to a 12vdc car battery.

He would like to adjust the ringing frequency between 30 and 150 cpc. Any suggestions for a cheap dependable circuit.

I was fixing to buy a timer circuit and a transistor to drive it. I have been out of electronics so long I thought that it would be better to ask for some assistance.
thanks, jerry :)
OK, well - "real" bells are generally metallic objects that are tuned to a particular frequency in the audio spectrum by adding or removing material from them. They resonate at their natural frequency when struck, with overtones (multiples of the natural frequency) caused by the action of the object striking them.

A "pure" bell sound might be generated electronically using a pure sine wave. A 555 timer outputs a square wave, which when output to a speaker sounds like the lead organ part in a heavy metal rock band.

It would help a lot to know more about this "bell" that you have.