Simple Motor that moves treds

doveroh

Joined Feb 26, 2012
Hello,

I am brand new here and just starting to learn about circuits and electronics. I have a photo printer that sits flat and I want to make a battery powered system that takes a printed picture (it will fall onto tracks) (thinking like robot treds like on dozers) and move it to fall off at the end.

Any suggestions on where to start. It needs to move about 6"

Thanks.
Jesse

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Start with a mechanism that has treads, add a motor that is strong enough to move them, than decide on what shall cause the motor to start and stop.

After you have accomplished what #12 has said, you could time how long it takes a page to print out, and have a restart timer set to run the tread for that long plus about 5 seconds. You could possibly use some sort of optical sensor that senses the paper in the light path, and acts as the trigger on the restart timer. Here is an example of a restart timer. The optical sensor would replace the momentary pushbutton switch on this model. http://www.canakit.com/restart-timer-kit-ck197-uk197.html

doveroh

Joined Feb 26, 2012
Thanks for the great ideas, Any good places to purchase a tread that you would suggest.

I was thinking since the pictures only print when people get their picture taken. I could use a sensor to trigger the mech. Any good inexpensive ones to suggest.

I am very new to this and looking for places to pick up inexpensive, but good quality.

Thanks again,
Jesse

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Getting a photo taken suggests a flash of light. That could be sensed to start a motor.

Start with a photo-transistor, then a 555 chip to a triac to run an AC motor for a set amount of time. Using a 556 chip could add a delay before the motor starts.

doveroh

Joined Feb 26, 2012
That's a good idea. I think I will keep the treads moving. The more I think about it even rubber bands on wheels would work to move it. It only has to move about 6".

Could I hook a power supply straight to the motor or do you suggest something else?

Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Read the label on the motor. If it says, "continuous use" you can connect the power directly to it and use it continuously.