Simple microcontroller schematic (using Proteus)

Gump

Joined Jun 7, 2010
What is your ultimate goal with what you're doing? This stuff is BS hard, takes years to get good at and is likely not to get you anywhere in life.
Nothing fancy, I'm just playing about... Yeah I can appreciate just how difficult this is to grasp. Fortunately I don't have to learn this for a job as I've already got a quite decent software engineering job, but I wouldn't mind messing around with this sort of thing; as difficult as it is, it is quite fun! :)

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
I think if you're going to do it, then do it formally, that way you have something (a qualification) to fall back on. Educating yourself with all of this isn't the way to go.

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
Nothing fancy, I'm just playing about... Yeah I can appreciate just how difficult this is to grasp. Fortunately I don't have to learn this for a job as I've already got a quite decent software engineering job, but I wouldn't mind messing around with this sort of thing; as difficult as it is, it is quite fun! :)
So it is a hobby for you then.

What sort of software do you engineer?

Gump

Joined Jun 7, 2010
So it is a hobby for you then.
Hahaha! Barely even that right now. :)

What sort of software do you engineer?
Well, it tends to be very low level stuff, for example a few weeks ago a customer wasn't happy with one of their border routers failing so instead of replacing it with a new router, they decided to use a few servers instead. My job (not just me mind you) was to write a very custom and high performance kernel that did only that single job. As far as I'm aware they've very happy, as one server did have a power failure but the network remained unaffected.

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
A kernel programmer? Dam you must be on some good money.

You should find all of this a walk in the park then.

The kernel is the 'core' of an operating system such as Windows for those who don't know.