Simple 555 problem: Input high=>Output constantly high

Selportion

Joined Mar 21, 2011
Stand-alone 555 problem (monostable)
((I bet this question has been answered before and sorry for that, but all previous titles are like "555 help" and i cannot find the answer to that specific problem, i ask for your understanding))

I am using 555 monostable timers for a project, and all of them have output constantly high (1) when the input is constantly high(1), which I think is against the expected responses. If I change the input to (0) then the output lowers to (0) after the expected time and remains so.

Using:
  • "CHN NE555N KA6735"
  • all with capacitors non-electrolytic (i think ceramic) C=0,01uF
  • and some of them with R=270k and C=10uF electrolytic
  • and the others with R=3,18k and capacitors non-electrolytic (i think ceramic) C=0,01uF
Schematic as

http://www.google.gr/imgres?imgurl=...D4gby98DgCA&page=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

From your experience is it broken/burnt or some sort of wrong use of capacitor types/values?
Any help appreciated!:)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey Welcome to AAC

A monostable has only one stable state. A trigger will cause it to switch and after the time constant it will revert back to it's stable state
Recheck ur wiring

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I suppose when you say "it remains so," you expect it to go high again (on-off-on-etc.)? That would be astable operation which requires this circuit:

I hope this helps :)
Der Strom

Selportion

Joined Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for welcoming, I've been reading around for a while but never bothered registering till now!

Hm, I've messed up my initial description, and i see i cannot edit it, I got it wrong. So here's more clear:
  • I need monostable operation, like LowLowLow...-High for X secs-LowLowLow...
  • I get for Input HIGH => Output LOW
  • Input HIGH->LOW->HIGH => Ouput HIGH for x secs
  • Input steadily LOW => Output steadily HIGH <<Unwanted response
So could it be something like too small/big capacitors or not/yes electrolytic capacitors or destroyed 555? The wiring seems fine.
PS>Vcc 5.2V

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
When pin 2 of the 555 goes lower than 1/3rd of the power supply voltage then the timer starts and the output goes high. Pin 2 must become high again or the timer will never time out. When the timer times out the output goes low.

Selportion

Joined Mar 21, 2011
Pin 2 must become high again or the timer will never time out.
I didn't know that was true..
So if i want: 50ms after hitting a switch, one led to get light up for 3s, i cannot use 2 monostables (50ms / 3s) in row? Cause you are saying that after the 1st monostables finishes its flash (=>output low), the second one (input low) will never stop (output constantly high) ??
Pin 2 must become high again or the timer will never time out.
I see the whole edge-triggering idea, but doesn't it require a manual switch on the input? Or is it just a schematic?
Thank you all for your help!

Selportion

Joined Mar 21, 2011
Thank you very much guys, edge triggering works and it's easy if you understand it.

So, to anyone with the same problem,
put any small capacitor to your 555 input, 2 reletively big resistors from the capacitor legs to +Vcc and connect your input before the capacitor, just like the image on previous post.

Topic closed