Silicone Gel as an insulator-conductive?

Still Learning

Joined Jul 19, 2010
Understand a lot of components are made out of hardened silicone, but can the general purpose gel out of the tube at the building supply store be used as an insulator around connectors, or a basic heatsink, or like a glue to stick down a pcb while maintaing a good earth to a metal case?

Any ideas? Anyone else use this stuff much, or is heatsink paste the best option?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Silicone in it's cured state is a good insulator. It is often used as a gel in explosion proof fittings to eliminate voids. Silicon jacketing is often used in high tension cables.

Still Learning

Joined Jul 19, 2010
So the Selleys All Clear stuff I can get, even though it's called a Non-Corrosive will still give me issues in the long run? So a specific heatsink paste is my best bet to ensure electrical wiring (say 240v Wiring to back of switch) is not ever going to move and arc together (even after heatshrink tubing?)..? I could use general Silicone gel to hold down some insulated wires to a case though, yes?

Sorry if the question is stupid, just have seen what looks like the normal stuff inside gear I've ripped apart before!!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I could use general Silicone gel to hold down some insulated wires to a case though, yes?
Yes, and if you have a choice go with Silicone II. The original Silicone caulk produces quite a bit of excess acetic acid upon curing. Silicone II produces far less excess.

HOWEVER, I prefer Goop (by Eclectic Products), which is sold under a variety of names like E6000 as an adhesive. It does not produce acetic acid as it cures. And, unlike silicones, it has great peel strength. In technical terms, is it sticks like snot.

Eclectic may have been acquired by Ashland Chemical -- all of the links I had to it are now dead.

John

Edit: Shoe Goo and Seal-All are two other brand names, that I think may be identical. It's amazing, the links have just disappeared on Google. The stuff had a great halogenated hydrocarbon smell (ethylene dichloride?). Maybe some idiot used it to get high, so now we can't buy one of the best, flexible adhesives ever on the market.

Last edited:

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Hi Still Learning, I use Sellys Roof & Gutter Neutral cure for insulating & gluing as its non corosive but does take awhile to cure. Daryl

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's the MSDS for E6000: http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/MSDS E-6000.pdf

Notice the tetrachloroethylene, also known as PERC for perchloroethylene. That is the very characteristic odor to which I referred earlier as possibly being dichoroethylene. It is/was also used for dry cleaning. Once you smell it, you will recognize the odor.

The Seeleys All-Clear may be similar, but does not have the same solvent in it. In any case, it goes on clear, self levels, and drys down substantially (i.e., the volume is substantially reduced). Once it has cured (overnight), it is almost impossible to peel off, yet it remains very flexible.

John