Silentnight Electric Blanket Model TT-FF Turns on but no heat

Bassquake

Joined Feb 16, 2018
I bought an electric blanket which turns on (led lights up) but doesn't seem to be producing heat. And if it is, its very low. The label says it 40w.

I watched this video on YouTube on the same thing and followed his findings. His ones don't turn on at all but mine does.

• Its drawing power from the wall at 44 watts on highest setting number 3. Number 2 is 24w and 1 is 11w.
  • I opened up the controller and checked the fuse (black box component next to neutral) which is fine. Led wouldn't light if it wasn't anyway.
  • Checked the thermo fuse in between the resistors which seems fine.
  • The blanket itself reads same ohm measurements as the guy in the video. 12773Ohm on one set of pins, and 2555Ohm on another set.
  • The 2 big resistors values seems correct at 1800 Ohm each.
  • The 563 SMDs are reading as 56kOhm.

Not sure what the SMDs which says M7 are.

Not sure what else to check. I'm confused how it can be drawing 44 watts yet no heat is being output!

Help appreciated as its winter now!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The M7 are Diodes, it looks like the contacts are badly burned, i personally wouldn't mess about with this as it's dangerous it uses a transformer-less supply and especially when you could get fried in bed...

Bassquake

Joined Feb 16, 2018
The M7 are Diodes, it looks like the contacts are badly burned, i personally wouldn't mess about with this as it's dangerous it uses a transformer-less supply and especially when you could get fried in bed...
That's just a dark reflection. Contacts are clean as a whistle (see pic). Blanket is new from Amazon store. I could return for refund but wont be able to buy another one as price has doubled!

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you have a voltmeter, when its assembled back up , measure the voltage across the elements and see if it's giving out a supply, otherwise take it back for a refund..

Bassquake

Joined Feb 16, 2018
I would but it wont power on unless the blanket is plugged in so cant access the pins unless do it disassembled which I don't think Ill risk doing!

Bassquake

Joined Feb 16, 2018
If it is drawing 44W of power it is warming up. Put it under a duvet and turn it on. After an hour, put your hand under the duvet.
You're right. It did warm up a bit when under the duvet. Maybe I'm expecting too much as have never used one before. Consider this thread closed. Thanks all.