Significance of 'followers'/'following'?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Would someone please explain the purpose/function of the 'follow' feature?

I have two 'followers' -- One (with whom I've never communicated) began 'following' me several days subsequent to my registration (and hasn't logged on since!?:confused:)

Then too I began following 'my other follower' (at her request) -- though said action was/is not productive of any 'special' alerts, etc...

So... Am I to assume that the 'follow' feature is offered as a means to express appreciation of members (à la 'like' Re: posts) --- Most importantly are there any privacy implications attendant thereto?

Best regards and many advance thanks!
HP:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Ever hear of that site called Facebook? It's now our culture -- or at least millennials tell us it is.

John
IMNSHO Facebook (and its ilk) represents everything wrong with urban culture! --- To wit: utter disdain for privacy and individualism... -- Capitalist imposed communism (actually, symbiosis), if you will! -- Go figure!:mad::mad::mad:

Best regards
HP:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP! I not trying to harass you! Why not let friends be friends
Hey @Aleph(0) ???

Might I ask:

What part of
Actually, I have no problems with my 'followers' -- I merely wish to ascertain the 'effects' of being 'followed' and 'following':)
Don't you understand???

I say you carrying your abbess of the manor deal too far!:(
Well... Abbess of the Abbey maybe --- Didn't anyone ever tell you that mixing metaphors is a bad habit (sic):D

TTFN
HP

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
An occupational hazard for moderators. I haven't looked at mine, but I'm sure it is up there.

Maybe it is like a school of small fish watching the hungry large fish?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
HP! I not trying to harass you! Why not let friends be friends! I say you carrying your abbess of the manor deal too far!:(
Ideas of reference? I've heard of that symptom.

I have wondered about these strange features that seem to come packaged with the website software. There must be some money in it somewhere, for someone. Please notify me when mine arrives. :D

ps, All random strangers, lurkers, and members of AAC that believe I am referring to you, please click the, "Like" button on this post. :)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
ps, All random strangers, lurkers, and members of AAC that believe I am referring to you, please click the, "Like" button on this post. :)
Hey @#12 --- Just so's you don't misinterpret my 'like' of your post -- 'Tis my policy of courtesy to all whom respond to my requests for assistance/info:D:D:D No paranoia here (Donning my Faraday snood!):eek:;)

Ideas of reference? I've heard of that symptom.
In all fairness to Aleph, she is one of the two followers ---- Bu.. But.. But now it seems I have three!!!:eek::eek::eek:

TTFN
HP:D

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) I also try to be courteous to people who answer my Threads.
2) I picked up another, "Follower" at about 6 A.M. today, but the only effect I can perceive is that an, "alert" appears for a while, then it goes away. Now, if only I could figure out where to collect my share of the money caused by this website software behavior!