Signetics' 25120 9046xN Random Access Write-Only Memory (WOM)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Happened across this advertisement for Signetics' Write-Only Memory IC, which was published in 1972 - you guess the exact date of publication.

A copy of it resides here: http://www.national.com/rap/files/datasheet.pdf
Be sure to zoom in on the Block Diagram to note the handy features, and the novel Drain concept.

The "Bit capacity vs Temperature" chart on page 2 is quite illuminating, along with the "Pins Remaining vs Number of Socket Insertions" diagram. It's too bad that more vendors don't supply this kind of data.

Anyway, I'd been looking for just such a device for implementation of a non-intelligent microcontroller. Now if I could only find a FISH (First In Still Here) register I'd be all set.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The most useful examples of WOMs are printers, card punches, and tape punches. We don't need no steenkin' read after write. Yuuuuh!

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I remember seeing that when it was first printed. Reminds me of the Darkness Emitting Arsenide Diode (DEAD). I understand the yield is very high.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Those WOMs cost too much! I have recently discovered (4 months, 24 days ago) that I can get WOMs if I tie the /OE pin of a 27(C)xxx EPROM high! I now have a selection of WOMs from 1Kx8 (2708) to 512Kx8 (27C040)! :eek:

--Rich

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sheldons General Electronics Chat 3