Signal amplitude of electret microphone

wql

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Hi guys,

Just wanna to ask what is normally the signal amplitude of a electret microphone that can be pump into the COTS transceivers?

Thanks

Regards

wql

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Do you need the output level of an unamplified mic, or the proper signal level for the tranceiver input?
Ya it will be a suitable signal amplitude into the external MIC input of the transceiver. I will be pumping in signal generated by the signal generator.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You only get a few millivolts out of a microphone. You are going to need to pad the signal down quite a bit.

Life might be easier if you have a line level input. That is on the order of a volt.

wql

Joined Jan 6, 2011
You only get a few millivolts out of a microphone. You are going to need to pad the signal down quite a bit.

Life might be easier if you have a line level input. That is on the order of a volt.
But if I am setting my signal generator amplitude to its lowest which is 50mV, is this value still too large for a transceiver MIC input?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
But if I am setting my signal generator amplitude to its lowest which is 50mV, is this value still too large for a transceiver MIC input?
You can run signal from signal generator through the voltage divider to get smaller signal you want. Lets say you have 50 mV, if you make 100 Ohm and 1 kOhm voltage divider, then voltage across 100 Ohm resistor will be 4.5 mV.

I have used this method in laboratory experiments. I would suggest to start with some relatively large voltage that the generator can produce reliably, a couple of volts for example. Then run it though voltage divider to get the signal you want.