Sign LED circuit

bookieyaki

Joined Jun 13, 2008
I am interested in designing a circuit for a large color (RGB LEDs) sign. Does anyone know if there is a published circuit design for such displays, e.g., the type used for color LED billboards. Thanks.

bookieyaki

Joined Jun 13, 2008
i'm interested in how each pixel is addressed, powered & held in on/off state where a pixel is defined as a group of 3 leds - rgb; questions include : are transistors required at each led, power requirements, addressing prorocol and associated circuitry,...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Several things to consider...

1. Are you builting this to save money, or for the learning experience? It will definately be cheaper to buy premade by the time you buy all the LEDs and associated circuitry.

2. Assuming you are going to build it from scratch, what size of display are you planning on?

3. Think memory and computer link (computer optional, it can be onboard). Basically the LEDs will be multiplexed. Strobed, in other words. Each LED will require its own driver. Think one transistor per row AND column, and X3 if using 3 LEDs per pixel (see where it adds up in price?).

bookieyaki

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Bill - At this point it is for information only. I would like to know the layout of the electronic circuits that enable the addressing and control of the individual pixels. Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007